Do you sell your dollhouses?

Hi, there folks!  I introduced myself a few months back and then dove right into building two back to back kits, one for each of my daughters.  I built an Orchid, took a break for a few days, and then built a Westville.  During that time, I really didn't need to lean on everyone here as much as I thought I would, and I didn't spend time posting or reading here because I was building.  I really, really loved it.  I finished last week, and am extremely proud of how they turned out.  Cleaning up my workspace and putting away my supplies left me bereft.  Sooooooo I bought another kit.   My Laurel is on its way!  I guess the plan is to build it and then try to sell it locally, maybe to a friend.  Is that what many of y'all do?  Because I think I'm going to be doing this.  And doing it again.  And again.  I caught the bug.  I've got the fever.  And I am not going to turn my garage into a gallery.  My knitting and crochet compulsion is much more manageable/useful.

I'm wondering what you folks do with your houses.  If you sell your work, I want to hear about it!  My husband is all for me making a little cash from something I enjoy doing.  Thanks, and forgive me if this question is asked once a week on this forum.  

• Like 3

You need to post pictures of your daughters' houses, you have enough posts to start an album!

So far, I have never tried to sell any of my houses, although I suppose I should. My mother and I have a seasonal gift shop, and I display them there. I do sell furniture and accessories I've made though.

• Like 1

Our garage is a gallery for my dollhouses.  If someone asks to buy one and is willing to pay me what I ask (usually twice what it cost me to build & decorate it which isn't a whole lot), out it goes.  Otherwise my sons will have fun finding homes for them all after I'm dead.

• Like 7

Hi Faye! I started on december 2012 with this hobby, and I thought that I was going to build one dollhouse for me to have and to hold for the rest of my life and that's it. As you now know, this is addictive, after you build the first one, must likely you will be doing it over and over and over again. In less than 2 years I had built about 7 houses from scratch and finished some others that I bought already started. My problem was space, I didn't have room for all of them, so I started selling them. So far I sold all the ones that I built from scratch and several of the ones that I bought the shells and finished. I don't know how is the market in the area where you live, but here in the Milwaukee-Chicago area is very slow. I have seen beautiful houses, cheap, going unsold for months. I guess I had to be happy just getting back my costs, the payment for my work was the fun that I had building them. I wish I could keep them all, but this is how it had to be if I wanted to keep building more. Sometimes I feel regret for the ones I sold, but when I think about the ones I will be able to build I feel happy again. Balance...

• Like 3

I don't sell, and don't plan to, but I agree with Mike. For a reasonably good build, it takes hours and hours and hours of time, plus the cost of materials, kits, wood, paint, wallpaper, etc. My husband estimated that to sell, it's at a rate of about $3/hour.

I think if you're passionate about building, and just can't seem to stop, I would look into maybe donating houses for a good cause. A children's charity, hospital, fundraiser, that sort of thing.

I think if someone was fast and efficient at making accessories, they could make a little extra money, but houses? No.  

• Like 3

I don't have plans to sell mine. This lady sells hers though and I've noticed they all eventually sell. Little Darlings. I'm afraid it would be hard to get your money's worth back too, but you just never know until you try. Worth a shot! I believe I read on the Little Darlings website that when they did that Peter Pan live show here in the USA, they had contacted her to make the dollhouse that was in the nursery. Having a great website would help, I think. 

I recently (this past Friday!) found a lady that has offered to put my Beachside Bungalow in her store (free of charge, oh what a blessing) so that I can fund my efforts to continue building for the foster home that fostered my father.

Whether or not it sells, is yet to be determined.

• Like 1

I don't sell mine, but my husband does...I usually build from scratch and then display them at the store where my husband works (notice I said display) he's sold both of them to people who wanted them one was a barn that I made and the other was a small cottage that I made when my cat passed away.  now he has the two trailers on display at the store and im embarrassed to death because they aren't finished. (so I've got to do something about that..probably today when I get home)

Im working on a tower from the movie "Tangled" and I just bought a kit from Sherana who lives near me...I plan on getting one of the others from her if they haven't sold but those are on the back burner and I have a San Franciscan that I want to build for myself (but I know my Sister in law will want it for her little grandbaby and that's ok) yes I know I've gone off track but I'll bring it back around

so no I don't sell mine but my husband does and he's got no problem letting my stuff go for a song..but if he sells one of my kit homes something bad will happen :)

oh and I do make them for gifts..I made two beach houses..one I made for a xmas swap and the other I gave to my former superviser when I was laid off two months ago because she has cute little grandbabie with curly blonde hair that's just the cutest thing (sort of reminds me of Shirley Temple) she actually has 7 grandchildren but the little curly top was the one we talked about because she was always doing something (there's always that one kid in every family isn't there)  she took it home to them ...I hope they liked it

I also have a coffee shop that Im working on it's 1:6 scale or Barbie scale...I have some brats dolls that need

• Like 1

I have sold a few. Also my sister loves Dollhouses but doesn't want to build them so I've given her one and sold her several. 

What everyone is saying is true..they just aren't valued like we all wished they were. I definitely never made a profit on any of the ones I sold or even came close to covering cost, it was just a matter of wanting to clear up space or make enough to buy another kit. 

Not to sound like a negative nelly :) I do think there might be money to be made around the holidays when people are buying houses for children. Also you know people spend a fortune on Halloween and Christmas decor..if a dollhouse fit those themes (Haunted house/gingerbread house,etc) it might sell for more profit if it was offered at the right time of year like the retailers do...rolling out the Christmas merchandise in the fall. Just a thought.

• Like 3

I've sold several of the rehab houses I've done - but certainly not for what they were worth!!

And as for the rehab work I do for clients - well, that isn't really done for much of a profit either. LOL  Mostly a hobby, I guess - the joy of the build and the satisfaction that I've helped to save another dollhouse from the dumpster!

• Like 4

Thanks, everyone!  I absolutely realize that there is no way I could sell them for what my time is worth.  I definitely plan to donate one for auction for my child's school.  Austin no longer has a dollhouse shop, our best local toy store has a very nice selection of miniatures and supplies.  There is a fully built house on display for something like $650. 

I do know a lot of moms in town.  My friends have been freaking out over the houses I made.  It also seems like there are probably many parents in some of our city's affluent neighborhoods who would love to have the houses I've built for my daughters and be more than willing to pay a price I would appreciate.  I just need to figure out how to spread the word.  They way I think of it is that as long as it feels like fun and not an obligation, any money I make back on it is gravy.  I have the time to do it, and due to an injury I got last year, I can no longer pursue my (more expensive) hobby of horseback riding.  If I build the less expensive kits, like the Arthur and the Orchid, the costs would be really low.

Keep your comments coming!

I will post photos of my houses in the gallery!

faye

• Like 3

I spoke to a woman once who built a $50,000 house for a client. She said she got $.10 cents per hour in labor. It was the materials and furnishings that the client paid for. But of course she also made money on the markup of those items.

• Like 1

It Israel I sell only custom collectors houses and sturdy houses for children.

In the US I do some a occasiona commission but I make money doing repairs and restorations. For all the jokes about Jews being cheap Americans seem to be the ones always looking for a bargain. 

If you enjoy building consider donations your houses to charities along with a stack of business cards.  The tax deductions might work out better than selling them and people who bid but don't win might offer you commissions. 

• Like 1

If I were going to try and sell for profit, I would look for the cheapest kits and rehabs I could find (garage sale, thrift store, estate sales, ebay) and find ways to finish them as fast as possible.

I also agree with Karin, that a themed house would be more likely to sell. Not just holidays, but beach-themed if you live near the coast, shabby chic, etc.

• Like 1

I started building dh's for therapy, and it has worked (although I've added a new obsession to my "issues"). I have donated the houses I have made to children and I have met some of them at the time of donation. It has been a great blessing to me. That said, I am still in love with my still-to-be-finished Chantilly, and I am considering keeping her. I have thought about offering a house for my school's auction or raffle but worry about a very young child beating on it and know it would not be able to last very long (unless I purposely made a sturdy, beginner's house & so far I have not been in the mood to do so). 

An interior design shop in our town used to always have a smaller house built with quality materials and neutral color schemes in the shop window. They would be replaced as sold. I asked the owner about them and she said they are sold on consignment; about four per year. She just liked having them in the window as they did draw business into the quaint shop. 

I think I am too attached to sell a house I built..........I gave some to my grand kids and it wasn't easy OMG! Some grandma I am lol.

I think you could find a profit margin and make some money. My guess is keep it simple, do the main building, wallpaper, wiring etc, Let them do most of the final decorating. If you look at the actual hours these kits say they take, according to that you could profit. You could try it..........figure out what you want to make and keep an honest track of you hours. I spend a lot of time loggy gaggling and not working. If I had a boss over me I would get a lot done lol. Worse that would happen is you would have a large dollhouse collection but I would never sell one if I wasn't getting something for my time. You might do better making smaller minis.......look on ebay dollhouse miniatures- Artist Offerings category or Handmade Items category ebay and etsy. lots of competition but One Of A Kind things help beat the competition. You can make money making minis......of course you can! I just have trouble trying not to keep things lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally finished my Newport and I am quite far along with my Orchid (Witches House). I told my husband that I would sell or donate the Newport to make room for another dollhouse. I live in a small, rural area in Virginia without many organizations to chose from.  I've approached the volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squad to donate to them for a fund raiser. None of them took me up on my offer. I contacted the closest Children's Cancer Center with the same offer and after their initial response, "I'll ask management", I have not been able to get any more information from them. Does anyone have any suggestions of groups or organizations that might be more receptive to a donation?  I'm almost ready to write up an ad for Craigs List and try to sell it. I know I'll never recoup my time and labor but I need the room. My craft room is full with all my other craft activities, machine embroidery and quilting, scrapbooking and card making and drawing and painting supplies.  And I have already over flowed to the laundry room closet, spare bedroom and the orchid is currently sitting on the dining room table. My Newport takes up a good portion of my husband's den.  Today, UPS delivered my Vermont Farmhouse Jr with one addition so I really need the room.  I'm up for any help or suggestions from all of you.

I've attached 2 photos of the Newport.  I don't have photos yet but all landscaping done.

Thanks, Pamimage.thumb.jpeg.e8d0d894c2d86bd83a15163bimage.thumb.jpeg.69e49b9d98f7c6c748bfe10

5 hours ago, PJSizemore said:

I have finally finished my Newport and I am quite far along with my Orchid (Witches House). I told my husband that I would sell or donate the Newport to make room for another dollhouse. I live in a small, rural area in Virginia without many organizations to chose from.  I've approached the volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squad to donate to them for a fund raiser. None of them took me up on my offer. I contacted the closest Children's Cancer Center with the same offer and after their initial response, "I'll ask management", I have not been able to get any more information from them. Does anyone have any suggestions of groups or organizations that might be more receptive to a donation?  I'm almost ready to write up an ad for Craigs List and try to sell it. I know I'll never recoup my time and labor but I need the room. My craft room is full with all my other craft activities, machine embroidery and quilting, scrapbooking and card making and drawing and painting supplies.  And I have already over flowed to the laundry room closet, spare bedroom and the orchid is currently sitting on the dining room table. My Newport takes up a good portion of my husband's den.  Today, UPS delivered my Vermont Farmhouse Jr with one addition so I really need the room.  I'm up for any help or suggestions from all of you.

I've attached 2 photos of the Newport.  I don't have photos yet but all landscaping done.

Thanks, Pamimage.thumb.jpeg.e8d0d894c2d86bd83a15163bimage.thumb.jpeg.69e49b9d98f7c6c748bfe10

If I lived closer I would probably be talking to you about buying it!  but since I am to far away   I would donate it to a Cancer Society shop or to my church.