Green Kitchen set

minilover62

So I ran across these today just browsing kitchens on Google and even though I know they're not being sold anymore, I thought I'd post them anyway. Just so we could all reminisce about good things past.

full.thumb.jpg.ae1f40b159a903bdbfe0cf118

3.jpg.6658696f8ea3b8e4926abf62caa76035.j

4.jpg.56f13adb11c381e90c8ec2b41a39218c.j

Now I want this kitchen more than ever.

• Like 1

That kitchen is just very, very neat! Maybe with all of the "farmhouse chic" trending they'll bring it back? I was in HL today, and noticed that they have a much larger selection of strip wood, trims, windows and doors. Many things that they either didn't sell before, or they just sold online. I'm really happy, because there isn't a brick and mortar mini store anywhere around me, so it'll be nice to buy more things in person!

I'm anxious to see how the mat board kitchen comes out! I'll be making my own in a few weeks for the barn, so it'll be nice to hear any tips and pitfalls.

I am getting there, but the sinks are giving me such a hard time. The problem is the gesso, the one i found is too liquid, and the more layers I add the bigger the sink gets and then it will not fit in the opening that I have. She uses a gesso that I only found on british places that will not ship it here. It's a little frustrating, so If you don't have lots of patience do not even buy the material because it will drive you crazy.

Kelly which kitchen is the white one, so I can keep an eye on it in case it shows around here. I still have an old brick and mortar shop that has tons of stuff, new an old.Who knows..

Holly thanks for the idea, it will be for the next one (if there is a next one, ufff!). Well, here you have my rendition of Kris' sink with some modifications, and my version of the MB famous green sink, also, with some modifications, but both made out of mat board. I am happy I finished them, but lots of room for improvements. I have already cut the stove cabinet and the dresser, so those are next, and I think with them I will rest my mat board adventures at least for now. Enjoy! 

P1000708.JPG

P1000709.JPG

P1000710.JPG

P1000711.JPG

P1000712.JPG

P1000713.JPG

P1000714.JPG

P1000715.JPG

P1000716.JPG

P1000717.JPG

• Like 3

Wow, did those cabinets ever turn out well!  As for the sinks, you could paint them faux granite or marble and the bumps mightn't be so noticeable.  Another thought I had was to use basswood instead of mat board for the sink and sand the outside edges to round them, give the inside & outside a coat of spackle and let it thoroughly dry and sand that smooth and paint it with glossy white.

Thank you guys, like I said, lots of room for improvements. It can be done for sure, and much better, but there are some things that you need to keep in mind if you are going to do this. You will need mat board ($10 each sheet 32" x 40"), good gesso, not the canvas one that you will find everywhere, or try some of the things that Holly suggested for the sink; you will need the usual tools that we have to build our houses, but must of all you will need time and lots of patience. These sinks I did at least twice and still not good, I guess with the right gesso it would probably had been different.Since I don't have more sinks to make, I will finish the 2 pieces that I have cut and finito.

Now I will finish my 1/4 scale Nana's house (this is another thing that I will not pursue anymore, too little for my hands and eyes).

Next project after this will be a Glencroft for which I was making this famous green kitchen. First I thought of bashing the Glen but I think I will leave it as it is to save room here for another house. Hehehe! Thanks Sarah, I received the Glencroft kit yesterday, awesome!

• Like 1

I make farm sinks with fimo. I use a pasta machine to flatten it into sheets and shape it around a small jewelry box. I made a nice modern free standing bath tub the same way using a oval margerine tub.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, aggiemae said:

I make farm sinks with fimo. I use a pasta machine to flatten it into sheets and shape it around a small jewelry box. I made a nice modern free standing bath tub the same way using a oval margerine tub.  

That's how I do my Belfast sinks, except I use an empty mustard tin to shape mine around.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the farm sink. I made my first one with polymer clay. I just couldn't get it as smooth as I would have liked.

the second time I made a base wood sink base, did one coat of gesso, filled insides with compound, sanded smooth (I also added the jewelry bit on front), painted acrylic color, and lastly did about three coats of DuraClear Gloss varnish. That dura clear gloss varnish is great. 

The sink could have been a bit smaller but by this point I was done with it. Didn't want to try a third time

you cabinets look great. Do you have working doors? I haven't attempted that yet. Hopefully soonimage.thumb.jpeg.da139e00333ec1f686cb5aa

image.jpeg

On April 28, 2016 at 4:57:03 PM, aggiemae said:

I just made a nice sink using paperclay. I also, flattened it out and drapped it over a McDonalds condiment container. 

• Like 1

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:03:30, minilover62 said:

Kelly which kitchen is the white one, so I can keep an eye on it in case it shows around here. I still have an old brick and mortar shop that has tons of stuff, new an old.Who knows..

The white one is the cream one. I think it really is cream, I just call it white.

Carmen, if you ever find any Carlson's/ACP windows or stairs in your shop, give me a holler. I went on to a website again yesterday and was getting all excited about the old windows and doors they have listed there. Then I realized they still have a door listed that I called about three years ago - and they didn't have it then but it's still on their site! So I don't know if they have anything they have listed.

You guys, those are GORGEOUS sinks. Now is there any way to make those and have the doors open?

Hi Michelle, your cabinet is gorgeous! No, my doors and drawers don't work. I suppose that with a little bit of more patience somebody could make them to work. I have an idea about it, but after the sink failure I just lost interest.

Kelly,, I have to visit the shop this week to look for something for the Glencroft, I will ask them about the Carlson's components. 

I just found this one on Ebay; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carlsons-Victorian-Bay-Kit-PLUS-Partial-Assembled-/262415315533?hash=item3d192bf24d:g:rLwAAOSwZSFXJmX4

Thanks, Carmen, no hurry at all. Yeah, I saw that bay window too and it's on my auction watch list.

Mainly I'm looking for Carlson's/ACP flat-topped windows, not their Victorian windows. The flat-topped windows are perfect for a Spanish adobe house, which I hope to build one day. Oh, yeah, and if you find any Lawbre staircases that you're willing to sell for $20.....LOL I actually found an old Lawbre staircase in a miniature store in VA once for only $25, best as I can remember. It was one that made a turn to the right. I can't remember if I lost that one when I moved or if it went into a dollhouse I sold. I just wish I had it today.