LED Flex Light Strips - 12" & 24"

KathieB

The Haunted Hangout wasn't wired for lights inside. Viewers have used flashlights, but that's not very satisfactory.

I found some super bright LED lights designed to illuminate under cabinet areas, display cases, etc. They come in two lengths, 12" and 24". I bought two of the shorter versions to try them out. They produce a very blue light, which in this case lends a nice eerie feeling to the scene. If I were to use them elsewhere, I'd try modifying the color with gallery glass or craft paint or something. They have adhesive on the back and a fairly compact case for batteries and the on/off button. For the upper floor, I ran one of the strips across the near side of the ceilings. If I were doing this at the time of the build, I would have cut a slit in the center wall at the ceiling and run the strip through it and done the same on the ground floor.  

On the ground floor, with no easy way to share the strip between the two rooms, I ran it around the ceiling of one room. It was difficult, as the strip is thick enough not to want to bend very much on its flat plane. I was afraid to clip it to ease the curve as I couldn't tell where the internal wires were located. So, I need to get one for the room on the right.

The effect is less harsh in real life. 

large.P4280061-lighted.jpg.a5ac2ad457419large.P4280060-unlighted.jpg.ac25ff50b6a

The Flex Light Strips came from whateverworks.com

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aggiemae said:

You can get these in "warm" or "cool" light. The ones I have used can be trimmed.

These are not available in warm or cool, only cool. These cannot be trimmed. The battery pack is affixed to one end. There is not additional wiring involved.

26 minutes ago, fov said:

Great idea! Where are the batteries hidden? I can tell from your photo where the light strips are but can't tell where they end.

The battery pack is stuck to the ceiling. There is a lip of sorts on the upper floor ceiling, so the pack is totally hidden. On the ground floor it is also stuck to the ceiling. You can see the white rectangle near the center wall, the end of the slim battery pack. I'll see if I can get a photo of the living room ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

I've used the LED strip lights that can be adjusted in the beacon hill.  There's a photo on pinterest 

I've used the LED strip lights from miniatures.com, too. These do not need to be connected to an electrical outlet and are not adjustable. Peel and stick. That's it.

Here are some views of the light strips. I'm planning to tape the droopy loop to the ceiling of the downstairs unit. The battery pack and the far end of the strip are held up with the attached adhesive tape.

large.P4280063-DownstairsBatteryPack.jpglarge.P4280062-UpstairsBatteryPack.jpg.e

• Like 1

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I got a longer strip from Menards.  They do need a plug in that's true, but the ones on the BH have been on now for almost a year.  (that's because I can't get to the house now  LOL)

I recognize the limitations of this particular light strip, but in the right application it could be very useful, like having to display it nowhere near an electrical outlet, eh? Good to hear of the long-lasting LEDs in the Beacon Hill. How cheerful that must be when you enter the darkened room. What a night light! :)  

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos of the battery pack. Electricity gives me such a headache I don't like doing it anymore, but the houses are dark without it. Maybe I'll try one of these in a future build.

I'm withdrawing some of my enthusiasm for this item. This morning both of the light strands have let loose and are drooping in an unsightly manner. Apparently the adhesive backing on the light strips is not strong enough to withstand any kind of curving. The battery packs are holding firm -- so firm, in fact, that I'm not sure how I'm going to get them off the painted ceilings. They may work just fine if the light strip can go up in a straight line, but they're not living up to expectation in the way I've applied them. Sorry ... live and learn, eh?

53 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, that's too bad!  is there  transparent tape that will do the job?  Or will it be too unsightly?

That would be nice, but I can't think of any transparent tape that would be stronger than the the adhesive on the strips. I'm just throwing up my hands and moving on. I have some of the LED lights that need wiring; may install them instead.

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

That would be nice, but I can't think of any transparent tape that would be stronger than the the adhesive on the strips. I'm just throwing up my hands and moving on. I have some of the LED lights that need wiring; may install them instead.

I buy the double tape that is ment for winterizing windows.  It holds up much better than normal double tape..

Was at home depot today when the spouse ask an employee about some lights he saw on a diy show.  I had no clue what ir why he was asking  (remember he doesn't show ANY interest in my mini world), (so I thought).  Anyway, the employee showed him some strip lighting that was on clearance.  Normally 70.00, clearance at 17.00.  Then he asks ME, how many I wanted.  Lol I got 3.  I posted a you tube video when we got home.  They are 8 ft so can go all over a house, and can be cut when needed.   Fun part.....they have a remote control to turn off and on.

8 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Was at home depot today when the spouse ask an employee about some lights he saw on a diy show.  I had no clue what ir why he was asking  (remember he doesn't show ANY interest in my mini world), (so I thought).  Anyway, the employee showed him some strip lighting that was on clearance.  Normally 70.00, clearance at 17.00.  Then he asks ME, how many I wanted.  Lol I got 3.  I posted a you tube video when we got home.  They are 8 ft so can go all over a house, and can be cut when needed.   Fun part.....they have a remote control to turn off and on.

Eight feet? Wow! Can you post a photo of the lights and/or the packaging?

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

Hope that works 

Thanks! Apparently capitalization counts in youtube searches, as I couldn't find it with all lower caps name.

Do I recall that someone else added remote control to the LED light strips sold by Hobby Builders & others? That would be perfect.