New Mall under Construction

moonberry

Goodness gracious, I finally have some time to pop in and say hello to everybody :wave:

Since I started working at the Art market last October, it has been non-stop making, crafting, creating and then working long hours on market days.

I finally found some 3/8ths inch plywood at Ace last week and on the spot drew a rough sketch and measured approximately how big I wanted the sheets cut, and dragged my prize home. This morning I got my engineer husband to sit with me and do the mock-up of the mall I'm building. Basically a display for my 1:12 scale cars that I've been buying wherever I find them. I have 7 already!

I also need a big enough space for the children's playground climbing equipment I have, and the bowling alley I've been planning, so now they will all be in one building.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7452

Lene, welcome back <running to hug you>! You had spoken of possibly moving and thought perhaps we'd lost you in the shuffle. I'm so glad you're able to move ahead with your mall idea. Working in the Art Market sounds like great fun as well as a lot of work. Do you have photos to share?

• Like 1

Welcome home,, Lene!!!  {BIG HUG!!!}  We have missed you!  How nice that Dubai has Ace hardware stores and toy stores, especially that stock 1:12 cars!  I would also love to see the Art Market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Lene, welcome back <running to hug you>! You had spoken of possibly moving and thought perhaps we'd lost you in the shuffle. I'm so glad you're able to move ahead with your mall idea. Working in the Art Market sounds like great fun as well as a lot of work. Do you have photos to share?

47 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome home,, Lene!!!  {BIG HUG!!!}  We have missed you!  How nice that Dubai has Ace hardware stores and toy stores, especially that stock 1:12 cars!  I would also love to see the Art Market.

Big hugs to both of you too!  We decided to stay where we are for a few more years. So I can now relax about that and just try to stay on top of my hectic schedule.

The ARTE market is a group of artisans here in the United Arab Emirates. We only sell what we make (or assembled) and meet in 3 different malls on a fixed Friday schedule. Fridays, because that is the official day off over here. Market day I have to set up early and I also help the market owner with other secretarial duties on other days. It is great fun to meet other artists, crafters, bakers, designers and the awesome encouragement from the public is just so lovely.

I will put a photo of my stall at ARTE in my gallery (for some reason it refuses to load here, even though it is only 45kb, sigh).

We have two branches of ACE, but their stock is very limited. Only one small aisle for wood and then that is mostly empty too. The radio controlled cars are VERY popular over here. Sometimes a whole aisle in the stores is stocked only with those cars. From the small ones to huge 1:10 scale monsters. And you never know what new stock is there this week. So I check regularly. 

• Like 1