Hi from another Aussie

Hi everyone, what a fabulous resource this forum is! My hat is off to the wonderful people who generously run and maintain this site, it is truly a gold mine of information.

I am an avid crafter and until recently my main hobby was knitting and crochet, but since discovering the world of miniatures, i have found something to entertain myself during the summer months! I am in the middle of building a half-scale Greenleaf Fairfield, and because I have a short attention span wanted to do something in 1:12 scale, my kids are gifting me the Orchid kit for Mother's Day (which is this Sunday here in Aus). Exciting!  I have been the Fairfield for over a year because I only do it when the weather is not suitable for working with yarn and I'm finding working with the smaller scale a little challenging as my first build as everything is a little fiddly! Plus there aren't nearly as many awesome accessories to buy in 1:24 scale (a good thing for my wallet though, lol).

Looking forward to learning more here!

Cheers, Julie

Welcome to the forum Julie! I haven't tried half scale yet, I am doing a house in 1/20th, and the furniture pieces are so tiny, I can't imagine building something even smaller!

I love the idea of half scale, because I could have so much more room for houses, but I love making my own furniture, and at 63, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so the smaller sizes are more difficult for me.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Julie!

I hope you enjoy your Orchid. I'm an avid half scale fan and build almost exclusively in that scale. I've found that half scale pushes me to make many things myself and I enjoy the challenge of making or finding furniture and accessories. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone :-) 

I quite like half scale too Deborah, 1:12 seems enormous to me after working in 1:24! I wish I were more artistic, my imagination out runs my abilities when it comes to making my own accessories, but I am inspired by everyone in this forum so who knows?

Kathi I was browsing through your fabulous Japanese Inn last night, what a wonderful project. So different and beautiful.

Jo, thanks. Yes, I started in half scale precisely because I didn't have the room for a full scale project - they seem enormous to me now, lol.

Shannon, oh don't tempt me! I have a birthday later in the year though, and I'm saving my pennies, lol.

Karin, thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaygee said:

Kathi I was browsing through your fabulous Japanese Inn last night, what a wonderful project. So different and beautiful.

Thanks Julie, it's the most interesting house I've ever built!

Welcome to the little family, Julie.  My first 1:24 endeavor was a hacienda and I had kits for many of the furnishings, I made the kitchen table & chairs & stoves from scratch.  Then I decided to build two Fairfields I happened to have as halves of a single house and went berserk bashing them; I also discovered all the furniture sets I had bought for them were actually too small for 1:24 and I ended up making a whole lot more furniture from scratch.