Sad day

amyole

My beloved grandmother passed away during the night. I received the call on my way to work. She was 98 and had dementia. I am the eldest grandchild, so we had a long, close relationship. 

When I was young, we would watch the sunset and she would say we were "filling our souls." I am hoping we have a visible sunset tonight.

• Like 1

Sending you cyber hugs, Amy.  It's never easy to lose a loved one, no matter what the circumstances. I'm glad you have such happy memories of her to carry with you. :console:

She sounds like an amazing and wise lady, Amy! My gram died in 1998 and I still think of and miss her every day. You are like me, so lucky to have had a grandma that was a special and loving person. I hope that one day, if my grown up children every bless me with a grandchild, that I will make them feel so special and loved that they will miss me and fondly remember me every day after I am gone, too. Big hugs and wishing you peace.

Jodi

So sorry for your loss Amy, but I'm also glad you had such a great relationship with her.

I lost my grandmother in 1987, but we had a close relationship too. I've always tried to be the same kind of grandmother to my grandchildren as she was to me, and it seems to be working, because even though I only see my grandchildren a couple of times a year, we are still very close.

It's so very special to have good grandparents, and you were lucky to have her. She will always be with you in the things she taught you.

I had a similar relationship with my gran, although I was the 2nd youngest grandchild (my 4 cousins were older). She was 103 and had vascular dementia and no longer knew who any of us were, but it was still hard. It was also a relief in a way, as the dementia had taken her into a dark place. But we chose to focus on the positives, such as her curiosity, her early stand for women's rights, the way she mostly raised my cousins, her indulging me and my sister in our pestering her for stories of "the old days", which triggered in both us a life long love of history.

Enjoy your sunsets and know your Gran is watching it with you. That little breeze is her.

• Like 1