In the Garfield house has anyone removed the wall as you come into the master bedroom

Dreamer14

Has anyone removed the wall as you come into the master bedroom.  If so, what's the best way to make the ceiling of the room and the roof pieces that come down into the room form a flat and level looking ceiling?

Edited by Dreamer14
But the name of the house in the topic line

• 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be an answer but is an observation.  What ever you do with the ceiling would be just fine in an actual house.  Why do I say this--eyes do not travel up. 

I add this: When you build and  you find a mistake, you stare at it, you analyse it, you examine and wonder.  When someone looks at what you build they glance at it and never even see what you agonized over.

I cannot for some reason visualize the wall you are moving.   I do know this when we remodeled an area where we had our law office and removed a wall the broke up the waiting room.  It happened to be a support wall so the contractors put in a beam next to the ceiling.  The beam was paneled and was never noticeable.  I do hope this may help.  You could put some of your French work on the face of the beam.

Tell me if you can the major mistake on this house????

2008-12-31_23.00.00-8.jpg

2 hours ago, Justmilt said:

I add this: When you build and  you find a mistake, you stare at it, you analyse it, you examine and wonder.  When someone looks at what you build they glance at it and never even see what you agonized over.

I cannot for some reason visualize the wall you are moving.   I do know this when we remodeled an area where we had our law office and removed a wall the broke up the waiting room.  It happened to be a support wall so the contractors put in a beam next to the ceiling.  The beam was paneled and was never noticeable.  I do hope this may help.  You could put some of your French work on the face of the beam.

Tell me if you can the major mistake on this house????

2008-12-31_23.00.00-8.jpg

I see it. And I know exactly how it happened. 

My club is building 25 Primroses and their homework was to only sand all the pieces. We will be assembling them next week. I got a call from a member saying something is wrong with her kit. She took it upon herself to shingle the unattached roof (not on the schedule until August) and said the roof doesn't go up to the apex.  Immediately I knew that she shingled it upside down. Had she not already glued it, it would have been an easier fix.

These things happen, they are all learning experiences.

36 minutes ago, Sable said:

I see it. And I know exactly how it happened. 

My club is building 25 Primroses and their homework was to only sand all the pieces. We will be assembling them next week. I got a call from a member saying something is wrong with her kit. She took it upon herself to shingle the unattached roof (not on the schedule until August) and said the roof doesn't go up to the apex.  Immediately I knew that she shingled it upside down. Had she not already glued it, it would have been an easier fix.

These things happen, they are all learning experiences.

I have also learned that lesson the hard way.

Yes I spot the problem.  Did the panel for the window go in upside down?  I ended up cutting off the portion of the roof that protuded into the room and cut a piece of scrap wood to fill in the hole to make the ceiling flat.  So now instead of my roof ending in a V shape against the house there is a flat spot.  I looks ok.  Not to noticable.  I think that I'll put a bird nest there.  Like you said, I doubt anyone will really notice.

Wall Removed.jpg

Roof Issue.jpg

One more shot over the bow!   Yes you win the prize--It is either one panel is not correct or one is correct and two are not.  Will I tear it out, no way.  I have had the house forever, and it is Milt's house.  It will never go anywhere until I can no longer use the house.  The house has been viewed by countless people and no one notices it.  You have a trained eye and was looking for a problem.  Not unlike  your change in the wall no one will see it unless you point it out or challenge someone to find a problem.  Milt