Beacon Hill - Gluing

JayNZ

So I finally started by Beacon Hill tonight! Been waiting months to start it. 

I am up to B. Step 4 in the instructions, and this may sound stupid but I am unsure as to which section of the joint I am supposed to glue, whether it's the section on the front panel, or on the side, or what. (Joining the right wall and the right front wall)

Also, those of you who have built Greenleaf dollhouses before (this is my first!) do you do a dry fit of the entire shell before gluing or do you glue as the instructions say? I've glued the foundation already as instructed but don't want to start gluing the rest now and regret it later.

Silly questions, but I'm a newbie to Greenleaf. This is the first dollhouse I've ever built myself and I want to get it right!

The more you dry fit, the better off you'll be. Sometimes tabs need to be shaved or slots opened up a bit* for a snug fit. Once its in dry fit, the answer to where to put the glue** will reveal itself. :D As to how much to dry fit, try to do at least several steps ahead of where you're ready to glue. 

Any slight error in fitting in the beginning of the build will grow worse as the house takes shape.

*A fingernail emery board is a good tool for smoothing the edges of a slot.

**You did heed the warnings posted all over this site and are not using hot glue for construction, right? 

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The more you dry fit, the better off you'll be. Sometimes tabs need to be shaved or slots opened up a bit* for a snug fit. Once its in dry fit, the answer to where to put the glue** will reveal itself. :D As to how much to dry fit, try to do at least several steps ahead of where you're ready to glue. 

Any slight error in fitting in the beginning of the build will grow worse as the house takes shape.

*A fingernail emery board is a good tool for smoothing the edges of a slot.

**You did heed the warnings posted all over this site and are not using hot glue for construction, right? 

Great, thank you! I won't glue this bit just yet then, I'll dry fit a bit more until I'm confident :)

Yes I've noticed that some of the tabs take a bit of filing down to fit, been using sandpaper but an emery board is also a good idea!

And regarding hot glue I did notice those warnings, I've been reading lots of blogs and forums following other people's builds for the past year so I've learnt a few do's and don'ts! :cheezy:

Thanks for answering, I figure it's best for me to ask a simple question and be safe rather than sorry!

1 minute ago, JayNZ said:

I figure it's best for me to ask a simple question and be safe rather than sorry!

Absolutely! If you haven't found it yet, one of our members, Gina (moreminis) has detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions on building the Beacon Hill on her website: http://moreminis.blogspot.com She has built two of them and did a few things differently on the second build.

Jacinta, I dry fit most of the basic shell, at least, to see how the finished house will look, and with some builds I dry fit more than once before I commit to glue.  And if you don't know a bit of information, it's silly not to ask.

45 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Absolutely! If you haven't found it yet, one of our members, Gina (moreminis) has detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions on building the Beacon Hill on her website: http://moreminis.blogspot.com She has built two of them and did a few things differently on the second build.

Yes! Been reading her website religiously :D

40 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Jacinta, I dry fit most of the basic shell, at least, to see how the finished house will look, and with some builds I dry fit more than once before I commit to glue.  And if you don't know a bit of information, it's silly not to ask.

Thanks, good to know! I think I will dry fit at least most of it before gluing. Makes me less nervous :p Thanks for your advice!

Hi Jacinta, welcome to the forum! I think this is a view of the Front Wall/Right intersection with the Right wall; hope this helps:

large.DSCN3054.JPG.8b49da341caa8451964b1

I dry-fit all the major pieces a couple times (before and after priming) prior to gluing, then I dry-fit minor pieces as I go along.

4 hours ago, rbytsdy said:

Hi Jacinta, welcome to the forum! I think this is a view of the Front Wall/Right intersection with the Right wall; hope this helps:

large.DSCN3054.JPG.8b49da341caa8451964b1

I dry-fit all the major pieces a couple times (before and after priming) prior to gluing, then I dry-fit minor pieces as I go along.

Thanks for the picture and your advice! I'm glad mine looks exactly like that so far except I haven't added it to the foundation yet, or put the left walls in place. 

• 1 month later...

I'm in total agreement with these veterans that have responded here - I too am relatively new to this..I'm working on the Beacon Hill also (my second build) - I have found that you must dry fit everything... many pieces and parts have needed adjustments - my Dremel tool has become my friend. 

Good luck and keep asking questions these folks are a wealth of knowledge 

Take care..

PS - my glue of choice is Quick Grip - found at Walmarts for like 4 bucks - I use it for all general construction bonds (with tape and clamps) 

Danny

On 7/5/2016, 2:40:09, Boca1212 said:

I'm in total agreement with these veterans that have responded here - I too am relatively new to this..I'm working on the Beacon Hill also (my second build) - I have found that you must dry fit everything... many pieces and parts have needed adjustments - my Dremel tool has become my friend. 

Good luck and keep asking questions these folks are a wealth of knowledge 

Take care..

PS - my glue of choice is Quick Grip - found at Walmarts for like 4 bucks - I use it for all general construction bonds (with tape and clamps) 

Danny

Thanks! I've dry fitted everything up until after the stairs now. Was just waiting for some parts to arrive that I ordered online for the railing (replacing the kit railing) and now I can get onto gluing the stairs together and then I guess beginning to glue down some of the walls. The scary part! 
We don't have Walmart here in NZ so I don't think I could get that glue but I purchased a wood glue from the hardware store and that seems to be doing the job, I use it with tape and clamps too.