What's the scoop on Bespaq?

Lucille Kreps

ok, so I'm obsessed with cataloging my mini collection... it's going to take FOREVER.  I've done over 500 items so far and I think (????) I may be halfway done.  As I put entries in, a question keeps popping up in my head - what is the deal with brands like Bespaq and JBM furniture?  I have seen it listed by online vendors as being 'artisan made' and 'hand carved'.  Is it actually?  It seems mass produced and some of the pieces I've seen definitely utilize laser cutting.... but I remember being told when I was a kid back in the early 90's by the local dollhouse shop lady that it was all hand carved.  So was it at some point?  I'd be interested to know the history or any info you guys have on the brand or how it's made

thanks!

• Like 1

When I owned New England Miniatures I was one of the major Bespaq and JBM retailers. The miniature furniture is made in small Chinese factories. I recall being shown a video the owner of Bespaq made at the factory workshop.Some of the parts are machine cut, very likely now using laser technology, the rest of the carving is done by hand. The difference among all miniature furnitures is how much of it requires more intense individual hand work and which pieces require less. 

• Like 2

As Grahzina says, a mix of machine and laser cutting, hand carving and hand painting. I think a fair bit of it is laser engraved these days. Bespaq has beautiful styles and proportioning, which in my opinion, sets it apart from the others, including JBM which again in my opinion is over-priced for what it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

As Grahzina says, a mix of machine and laser cutting, hand carving and hand painting. I think a fair bit of it is laser engraved these days. Bespaq has beautiful styles and proportioning, which in my opinion, sets it apart from the others, including JBM which again in my opinion is over-priced for what it is.

Also, what makes Bespaq beautiful is the finish. So many cheap minis look like they are just dipped in stain, then dipped in varnish, and it looks really awful. The finish on the better minis makes them look so much better.

Another thing on the better minis is, everything looks more to scale. The cheaper ones look like someone just grabbed ready made parts that don't fit the furniture. The cheaper minis also look too heavy and thick. The better ones are more delicate.

JBM doesn't really excite me either, but Bespaq is beautiful.

thanks for the replies - yeah, that would make sense to be a mix of different techniques.  Bespaq does make some lovely pieces.  Though, I wish they would come back with some of the other finishes they used to have besides new walnut or mahogany.  (I miss the old walnut sometimes and it'd be nice to have a finish that doesn't lean red or orange) 

Haha I remember the furniture my grandmother bought me for christmas when I was a kid - you could get a whole room set of 5-10 pieces for around $10 for the set.  They really were just literally dipped in some thick varnish that was heavy enough to cling to the globs of glue that were smeared on to put them together.  She got me five boxes of the stuff and it was so much fun to have that much of a variety of shapes to just move around and play with but there were a few pieces that really had potential and  I spent many hours carefully sanding them down so I could put a hand finish on them so they'd look better next to the few bespaq pieces I had at the time.

• Like 1

Shannon and Kathi you are so right nothing compares to Bespaq!  I love the detail of it.  When Pit started the company, back then known as "Fantastic," the furniture was all hand craved but of course that could not be continued and be produced in large quantities.  The Fantastic pieces I have are all wood.  Some people think Bespaq is expensive now think what it would cost if it was still being made that way.  Look at what Ferd Sobol charges for his furniture (lovely work but not my style) and each piece is offered in very, very small quantities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucille Kreps said:

thanks for the replies - yeah, that would make sense to be a mix of different techniques.  Bespaq does make some lovely pieces.  Though, I wish they would come back with some of the other finishes they used to have besides new walnut or mahogany.  (I miss the old walnut sometimes and it'd be nice to have a finish that doesn't lean red or orange) 

Haha I remember the furniture my grandmother bought me for christmas when I was a kid - you could get a whole room set of 5-10 pieces for around $10 for the set.  They really were just literally dipped in some thick varnish that was heavy enough to cling to the globs of glue that were smeared on to put them together.  She got me five boxes of the stuff and it was so much fun to have that much of a variety of shapes to just move around and play with but there were a few pieces that really had potential and  I spent many hours carefully sanding them down so I could put a hand finish on them so they'd look better next to the few bespaq pieces I had at the time.

I got some furniture like that cheap on ebay when my granddaughter was little. It was ugly, but it kept her happy until she was old enough for the good stuff!

I saw some like that brand new last year at AC Moore, and the price was sky high. I can't believe anyone actually buys the garbage they sell at those prices, when they can get some decent furniture for not much more. It made Bespaq look like a bargain compared to that stuff!

I've gotten to be able to spot a Bespaq from a mile away- They are highly detailed and finely finished. They are particularly delicate, too- thin legs, arms, etc. the upolstered items are really nice too. we have a few of their kitchens in our store and they get complements like "i want that in my REAL house!" all the time. Even though they are laser carved they honestly look hand done. The only thing i dislike is the furniture has a very specific taste/style- very traditional and ornate. I wish they could make things a bit more modern/rustic with the same quality.