Need Help - Yellow Windows

8 posts in this topic

I'm fixing up my old dollhouse from when I was a kid.  I am NOT an expert at dollhouses ;)  My problem is many of the windows are yellow now.  About half of the windows are in the house and half have not been put in yet.  Is there anything I can do other than taking out the windows and redoing it all?  What material do you suggest using that won't yellow?  I would put glass in them but don't want to risk it breaking if a kid is using the house.. and I don't see how it would work anyways since it is way thicker.  Many of these windows slide open.  Thanks for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overhead projector transparencies work well, as does clear plastic packaging, like the containers pastries come in from our local bakery. The dollhouse my father made for us in the 1950s has glass windows. They've survived two-going-on-three generations of sometimes rough play. You can get thin glass from the cheap frames sold for displaying certificates at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first house's windows yellowed, but since it was my first ever build, I chose to leave them as is.  I save windows from other projects when I change the window size and location.  They come in handy for new ideas

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a small table saw you can cut thin plexiglass. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UV rays do a yellowing number on acetate, FYI.  There are all sorts of sources of clear plastic thin enough for window panes.  BTW, I must have missed your introduction in the Newcomers Forum...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most clear acetate can be cut with a sharp craft knife- but are your windows ones that the acetate slides in and out of or were they simply glued to the house itself? if they were just glued on i'd recommend replacing not just the acetate but the window frames too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is glued between two pieces of the window frame. I might just have to leave the ones that are already in. I can't afford all new window/frames. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

glue can be a problem but sometimes hitting it with the hair dryer and heating it up will loosen the glue enough so you can use a xacto and carefully pry things apart...good luck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

  • Similar Content

    • Window Parts
      By PapaJKK
      All the window parts. After sanding, filling, sanding, and more sanding, painting, sanding, painting and sealing, the windows are ready for assembly. I chose to glue the top frame in and only the bottom frame opens. This helped make a rigid window frame that can be handled without falling apart. Notice the gluing jig I made for assembly. 
    • Assembled windows.
      By PapaJKK
      15 windows, 11 pieces per window, 161 total pieces. Nice to have that bit finished. 
    • Willow Dollhouse Kit
      By Small Passions
      Could someone tell me what the ceiiling height of the the Willow Dollhouse is?  Thinking of purchasing and wonder if I would be able to replace the doors and windows with standard dollhouse (non-Greenleaf) elements.
      Thanks!!!!
    • help to Identify these from mixed lot of minis
      By fleabags3
      I bought a lg box of minis and wanted some help identifying these- age etc if possible .  Thank you in advance! 



    • Acquired 2 Magnolia Dollhouse Kits
      By hdatsopoulos
      Hello Everyone! I recently acquired not 1, but 2, Magnolia Dollhouse kits from Corona Concepts. My parents found the boxes tucked in the back of a closet when they moved into a new apartment. When they pulled the boxes out and realized what they were, I got really excited, because I love building dollhouses, and the Magnolia was one that I always toyed with buying. It was like Christmas in July! However, it looks like I’m missing pieces, that I will either need to build myself or reorder. I already know that I’m missing 24 of the 32 window sashes that I need. Let the building challenge begin!