So Excited I Finally Feel I Can Join all of You!

Hi! My name is Liz and I reside in PA. So excited I finally feel like I can stop lurking through and join the community! My husband bought me my first Greenleaf and I am so excited to start! I am a lover of all things miniature and have been pretty much obsessed with dollhouses since I am a little girl. I collect from the Victorian Era so that era tends to also be my favorite dollhouse. I have scanned the forums on and off for a long time and am excited to be able to legitatmately be able to join in!

I have another dollhouse I got from Craig's list for pretty much a song although I think it is going to need some work. We are picking it up tomorrow and I am hoping if I post here maybe I can get some further information on it. Not even sure the scale at this point but I am excited to get it home and start rehabbing it!

I have 3 kids that are finally old enough I can now get the "toys" I want and have hopefully the time to work on them! I worked in psychiatric care for 20 years and last year was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder making it unsafe for me to continue working in the hospital (poor hand strength and trouble being on my feet longer than a couple hours). Now I run an antique store and an Etsy store online and love that as well! 

Glad ad to be a part of this awesome community! 

Thank you! Really am so excited to spend my free time with this - one of those things I am hoping makes me discover more free time! I did post over in general discussion but I will include a pic here as well! 

image.jpeg

Welcome to the little family Liz.  The first two kits I ever built were Dura-Crafts, the San Franciscan and the Cambridge.  By now you know yours is a 1:12 scale MDF Alexandria by Dura-Craft.  For some reason the company switched to using MDF to make their kits before they went under.  Personally I am no fan of MDF.  You are going o have a lot of fun repairing and rehabbing yours, though.  Which Greenleaf kit did  you get?

• Like 1

My husband was not giving me too much information on the kit he found for me but I did just get out of him it is The Franklin.  I think, however, learning this, it was actually an Artply set?  Although I also believe they may have been owned by Greenleaf.  I THINK it was them.  Well that does mean I am still on the hunt then!  Oh darn I will have to have another one!  He thinks it's great - wait until he gets an idea of the spending that goes with it all!  I would love to own the Beacon Hill or The Pierce.  Both of those just look so quintessential Victorian to me!

I had a Pierce I was rehabbing that I was also bashing (until it got destroyed during our last move); I cut double doors into the blank end wall on both floors so I could add an extension to the foundation and put a conservatory off of the parlor on the first floor and a roof garden on top.  I also fiddled with the idea of extending the tower on that side to accommodate a gazebo on the top floor, but there wasn't really room to do that, even with a spiral stair.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎20‎:‎49‎, Lilly0317 said:

Thank you! Really am so excited to spend my free time with this - one of those things I am hoping makes me discover more free time! I did post over in general discussion but I will include a pic here as well! 

image.jpeg

Hi Liz!  Hey- do you live near Reading or Philly?  Because I swear I've seen that pink and white Alexandria on CL!   I actually posted a link to the listing on the "ebay, etsy and craigslist links" forum!  LOL  I had built an Alexandria for a client, and decided that I would love to do one for myself someday...then I saw this listing!!  So glad that someone on here got it 'cause now I can watch it get fixed up!  :D

Please feel free to browse thru my Alexandria album to see how I made some "adjustments" to the rear roof line and some side walls to accommodate better access to the 3rd floor rooms.  I also hinged part of the tower so you could open it up to play -otherwise, once the house is glued together, you can't access those tower rooms!  You are always welcome to message me with questions - and heck, if you are nearby, a visit is always welcome!!  :)