Painting Tiny furniture (1:48) - recommendations?

Elsbeth

I have heard chalk paint is nice for miniatures, but I'm planning on painting some tiny items (1:48) and I'm wondering if anyone has advice for paint that doesn't go on too thick. Can I dilute it? 

Also, the furniture I made is laser cut mdf and some pieces have card/paper accents. In sample photos, it all looks great when glued and painted into one unified piece. 

But what paint is best suited to tiny minis made of paper/mdf/tiny details, etc? Acrylic? I'm not used to painting furniture. ThxInAdv for help.

More than the paint, one problem is not to brake the piece. I just finished painting some furniture for my Nana's house and I had to re-glued several pieces that came apart while painting them. I read after I finished that some people use markers to paint their quarter scale pieces. I used acrylic.

Thanks for the help, guys!

That blue is gorgeous on those tiny pieces, Sable.

Carmen - acrylic was my first thought. I'm going to try it out with a tiny fireplace.

Question for painters: can you dilute acrylic to thin it? Do you dilute with water or with something else?

And as for using watercolors (which looks amazing, Sable) - I'm afraid it will warp my paper bits - should I be worried? 

No matter what - I will probably give acrylics AND watercolors a try. I have several piece to experiment on. Its just everything is so tiny and I don't want to botch it and have to rebuild. But that is part of the journey.