Hello from Kentucky!

Trizel

I've been looking at this forum for a few days and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Dawn and I'm so excited about joining this forum! I've always loved dolls,dollhouses,and miniatures and I'm finally getting my own dollhouse kit.

• Like 1

Welcome, Dawn! Glad you found the forum! You are going to find yourself surrounded by a wealth of talent and knowledge! :) this place has been a godsend for me! And it doesn't hurt that the people are wonderfully kind and supportive! :) lol

• Like 1

Hello Laura and Holly,thank you both for the warm welcome! I've already found tons of information on this site and everyone seems so friendly,this is my kind of place. As for my dolhouse,I'm getting The Willow. I don't know what it wants to be yet,but it's going to be a home for some of my tiny dolls. I have some paint samples I've been looking at,and I've been daydreaming a lot about how I'm going to decorate it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the group Dawn. The Willow is a great house, and I love the door on it. The neighborhood where I grew up had lots of houses like the Willow, and that's what I always wished I could have for a real house.

One of my friend's houses like that had original stencils on the walls in the hallway and up the stairs, by Rufous Porter. (Just an idea if you decide to go with a colonial look).

At some point, I am definitely going to do a federal style colonial, and do the Rufous Porter thing in one of the rooms!

• Like 1

Thanks Kathi! That's why I want the Willow too,I've always wanted a real house like that. It must have been wonderful to grow up around such houses!  I had to look up Rufus Porter,but I love those stencils! I haven't decided on any painting style yet,but I will definitely keep the Porter stencils in mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trizel said:

Thanks Kathi! That's why I want the Willow too,I've always wanted a real house like that. It must have been wonderful to grow up around such houses!  I had to look up Rufus Porter,but I love those stencils! I haven't decided on any painting style yet,but I will definitely keep the Porter stencils in mind.

You don't even really need stencils to make the walls of a dollhouse look like Rufus Porter, just make some hills, the sky and a few clouds, and square or rectangular houses with black windows. Then do some very simple trees. Everything will be so tiny that you don't need much of any detail!

I paint a lot of trays, boxes and other things with that style of painting and sell it in our gift shop. I'm definitely not an artist, but it's so simple to do that even I can do it! I've even done water and boats in most of mine, because on something as small as cigar boxes or trays, they can still be more like kids' blocks than the real thing.

Anyway, if I was going to do the walls of a real house, I'd get the stencils!

I grew up on the common in Sturbridge, Mass, and the two houses I always wanted the most were the one that belonged to my step grandfather, and the one with the stencils in it. I didn't care which one I had, I loved them both. Of course, as it turns out, I didn't get either of them!

• Like 1

Hello Lawanda and Michele! I'm from Owingsville,do you know of it? It's a beautiful place. We don't have much of anything,not even a Wal Mart,but it's a pleasant little place.

:D Kathi you're giving me lots of good ideas. I might paint a little scene like that on some fabric or canvas and glue it to the wall,I don't know yet.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Trizel said:

Hello Lawanda and Michele! I'm from Owingsville,do you know of it? It's a beautiful place. We don't have much of anything,not even a Wal Mart,but it's a pleasant little place.

:D Kathi you're giving me lots of good ideas. I might paint a little scene like that on some fabric or canvas and glue it to the wall,I don't know yet.

You are a hop skip and jump into WV.  My mom was from down Paintsville way and spouse is from Pine Top.  ( you think your place is small LOL).  I grew up in SOCA.  (Oh, if you can't find Pine Top, it's near Hindman  LOL)

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016, 8:29:36, rbytsdy said:

Welcome Dawn. The Willow is a great bare-canvas of a house; some examples in the galleries include kellyannmo's fabulous half-scale Willow, Stenty's wonderfully classic Willow, and my (dimly photographed) egg-carton stone Willow (more pics in my blog). It is actually a pretty big house!

Thanks for those links! You did a beautiful job with your Willow,and it helps to see a finished one. I ordered mine last night! It's a huge house,but I wanted a big one with lots of big rooms. It's going to be so much fun to decorate.

On 5/28/2016, 11:14:12, L Swearengin said:

You are a hop skip and jump into WV.  My mom was from down Paintsville way and spouse is from Pine Top.  ( you think your place is small LOL).  I grew up in SOCA.  (Oh, if you can't find Pine Top, it's near Hindman  LOL)

I've been through WV,it was a long time ago and I couldn't tell you where I was at. I'm not sure but I think Paintsville isn't too far from where I'm at. I've never been to Pine Top but it sounds like a pretty place.

9 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Wasn't Loretta Lynn born somewhere near Paintsville?

Yes.  Butcher Holler.  Her daddy worked in the Van Lear coal mines, not far from Paintsville.  She used to attend the apple day parade in Paintsville, do not know if she still does. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trizel said:

I've been through WV,it was a long time ago and I couldn't tell you where I was at. I'm not sure but I think Paintsville isn't too far from where I'm at. I've never been to Pine Top but it sounds like a pretty place.

Don't blink.  The only have a post office.  no store, gas station, certainly no wallly world.  have to go to Hazard or Prestonsburg for one of those.  LOL

• Like 1

5 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Don't blink.  The only have a post office.  no store, gas station, certainly no wallly world.  have to go to Hazard or Prestonsburg for one of those.  LOL

I love little towns like that. We have Peasticks and Polksvile and Farmers. Farmer's has a tasty freeze and a dollar store,that's it. They're just little drive through places.

• Like 1