Questions about miniature kit I bought

I bought a miniature lighted music box house kit on eBay and am waiting for it to be sent out. I noticed it has a door. What tools will I need for the hinges and door and how do I put them on? And will I need any specific tools for the lighting? And should I get pillow fluff for the cushions and bed?

Kent, depending on the scale you might want to use thin foam for the bed and sand for the pillow for a more realistic look.  If you want  working door you could pin hinge it or, if it's in layers, you could use strips of chamois or Tyvek sandwiched between for hinges.  The itty brass hinges can be super glued to the edge of one side of the door and frame and the wee brass brads put in for look, but they are flimsy and I have given up trying to mount the like real doors are hinged, since even with counter inking so the hinges are flush with the door & frame, the heads of the brads are rounded, causing the hinges to bind.

• Like 1

Kent, find a fabric store for the foam and stuffing or try Hobby Lobby. But I would wait until the kit arrives to see what it actually comes with. As for tools: box cutter is always good, I have a needle tool for hinges: I use the needle tool to make a hole in the door, glue the hinge on and then use the pins to make it look good. If the pins that come with it are too long, either cut them off, or I sometimes use regular straight pins and cut those off - dab of brass paint and they look perfect.

• Like 1

I won't be getting the kit for a few weeks as it is being shipped over from China. I'm thinking of switching the music box movement if I think that the included one fits the theme. I have a few movements that I bought off of eBay for crafts.

• Like 1

Good morning. Just read your post and I have been building the kits you describe. Mine came all inclusive with everything.....

but I modified to include my miniatures. The kits are not true to scale but fun to do. I have used them with my 1/2"(1/24") scale.

Gail  :bear:

Japanese kits 003.JPG

• 3 months later...