Advice Requested

Sable

I need advice on how to finish the stenciled bricks in the firebox. As you can see there is some separation within the bricks but I can sand that down. White watered-down  paperclay doesn't work as well with stencils as terra cotta paperclay does. The second photo is just a piece of paper stenciled with a silver Sharpie. I kind of like this technique but don't want to ruin the bricks testing it out. My son wants me to apply a black wash to the bricks to give them a used look. I think I like it new and unused. All suggestions are requested.

Please note I am not finished detailing the mitres on the mantel. The piece has only had one coat of spray paint and needs final filling, detailing and hand painting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I make my "bricks" from  sandpaper and when I want t make my fireplace look used I grate black chalk pastel and bruh it over the inside of the fireplace with a soft paintbrush:

the finished interior:  the kitchen

12 hours ago, Sable said:

I need advice on how to finish the stenciled bricks in the firebox. As you can see there is some separation within the bricks but I can sand that down. White watered-down  paperclay doesn't work as well with stencils as terra cotta paperclay does. The second photo is just a piece of paper stenciled with a silver Sharpie. I kind of like this technique but don't want to ruin the bricks testing it out. My son wants me to apply a black wash to the bricks to give them a used look. I think I like it new and unused. All suggestions are requested.

Please note I am not finished detailing the mitres on the mantel. The piece has only had one coat of spray paint and needs final filling, detailing and hand painting.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The gray silver looks amazing with a white fireplace and your artwork, I think it the right color! Drooling over this arrangement

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sable said:

Thank you everyone. I think I have made a decision. 

I'm chiming in a bit late, but I see options for both treatments -- the dark bricks if this will be a working fireplace and the white bricks if it is non-working but will feature flower or candle arrangements according to the season.

So, what did you decide?

14 minutes ago, LPCullen said:

Is anyone else salivating over this fireplace, or is it just me?

So not just you! It is fabulous

hugs

• Like 2

My goodness, thank you everyone. I'm probably going to go with the grey bricks. I really like Kathie's idea of seasonal flowers or candles.  We don't generally have fireplaces in Florida so it's not something I'm use to decorating around. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikeuk said:

Hate to be a 'Spoilsport' but white with a natural arrangement would be perfect............let that wonderful picture take 'centre stage'!

What he said.........

• Like 3

I agree that the white is better as the gray takes away from the artwork. you could age it very lightly, a very thin wash, if you want. but you can always do that. I love aged and grubby looks, or distressed but I paint stuff white and delay doing the aging. lol  something about messing up a pretty surface just doesn't go easy. but I can always get the sand paper out and start in. lol I was going to do that on all the white on my Garfield but keep procrastinating. it waits for you. 

• Like 1

I haven't been able to decide which I like better. The white does make the picture take center stage, but the grey does compliment it so well and tie everything together.

I guess I'm not any help at all, which is why I didn't answer last night! :-D

• Like 1

You have inspired me to do a white brick backed fireplace, so Mischief Managed!! - thanks for posting the images and getting the conversation going!

I agree with Mike - the white bricks with an arrangement in it would be lovely. The painting stands out with the white bricks.

BUT WHATEVER YOU choose will be lovely! Both are lovely.

• Like 1

Love your bricks Holly! they look realistic! Like the fireplace has been used.  Thats something else, hmm wonder if the all white bricks should have some soot in them? 

I think that no matter what you do Sable it is going to be beautiful!  Guess you could draw from a basket and see what comes out. I hate making these decisions......