I had so much fun with my ryokan today!

kathi17

A lady from Japan came into the gift shop and saw it. She was so excited to see it, and we played with it for over an hour! She taught me a little about the language, and taught me how to pronounce ryokan. It's pronounced like dyokan, because there are no "r's" or "l's" in the Japanese language.

I felt so good because she thought it was so authentic, and it was so much fun enjoying it with someone from Japan!!! She laughed when I showed her the toilet, and said she had used those. (I didn't glue the ceiling on that room because I wanted to be able to look inside).

It was so much fun talking about the traditions and the architecture and decor in Japan. We both were sad because she has to leave in the morning.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MLI Designs said:

Thats so awesome. It's always great when you can share your love with someone who can appreciate it.

That's what is so great about this forum. We all understand the love for these houses. :-)

I have had a lot of people looking at it, and everyone is impressed, but it was so much more fun with a lady who is really from Japan. She didn't speak a lot of English, but it didn't matter, we had a wonderful time together!

• Like 2

I am so jealous of your Japanese house!  My daughter (she turned 16 yesterday and had a 50's style make-over and photoshoot today!!!!) LOVES all things Japanese - so much so that together we are learning Japanese (we homeschool).  When you told us about receiving it all I started looking on Ebay because I would love to have something like that for her to put together!!  How fantastic that you can enjoy and appreciate it so much!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shareb said:

I am so jealous of your Japanese house!  My daughter (she turned 16 yesterday and had a 50's style make-over and photoshoot today!!!!) LOVES all things Japanese - so much so that together we are learning Japanese (we homeschool).  When you told us about receiving it all I started looking on Ebay because I would love to have something like that for her to put together!!  How fantastic that you can enjoy and appreciate it so much!!!

I do feel very lucky Rebecca!

These houses are pretty rare. The most likely places to find them are from either Japan or Italy where they were sold. They seldom come up for sale any place else. I was just lucky that someone on this forum had one they wanted to sell in the US where I am.

I'm pretty interested in learning Japanese too. I've looked over some lessons, and it looks pretty interesting!

• Like 1

Thank you Aggiemae, I'm so glad you are happy seeing my progress, since if it wasn't for you, I would never have gotten this kit!

I've slowed down at the moment, because I've got to get my granddaughter's Orchid done. I only get a few hours at night to work on the ryokan.

I just finished the thin wooden parts under the eaves. (Took a picture, but haven't had time to upload it yet). Now I'm staining the decorative corner beams, and the other parts from kit #97.

I will probably put those little sticks under the eaves on before putting on the black paper that goes under the tiles. Peggy found it difficult to clamp them once the paper was on, and so far, it doesn't look like there is any reason not to do them out of order.

Thanks Cheryl, I agree that it's an awesome house! I had to slow down on it to build an Orchid for my grandaughter, and this Orchid is the first time I haven't been excited about a house, because it's taking me away from the ryokan!!!

• Like 1