New to dollhouses and blogging

From time to time the forum undergoes upgrading to discourage webbots & keep up with the constant changes inflicted on us by the internet gurus, resulting in some of the features being skewed (like the building team blogs, which used to be more navigable); now the search feature only goes back through one year's worth of info.

Kathie,

Thank you so much! You gave me so much helpful information! I went to your blog and it is amazing. I bookmarked it and it will be one of my new favorite places to visit!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I will be posting my most pressing question on the General Mini Talk Forum as you suggested. I feel so much better, now!

Cheryl

7 minutes ago, Dollhouse Novice said:

Kathie,

Thank you so much! ... I feel so much better, now!

You're welcome! This is one of the most welcoming sites on the internet. The members here are all welcoming and eager to share. You'll feel right at home. :) 

I am plugging along on my granddaughter's Orchid. I am at the point where I am putting together the front porch. I have found this to be a long process as I decided the front door need to work! This turned out to be a very ambitious plan. I had no idea how long this would take me. I got the hinges, after a lot of research, and a great doorknob that had to be just the right width because of the framing on the front of the door. I realised the door would not swing because the outside frame was too tight. So I sanded and trimmed, and sanded, and sanded some more. Then I re-painted and sanded again both the frame and the door. I got ready to add the hinges and realized the nails for the hinges were miniscule!! I used a very small tweezer and a lighted magnifying glass and dropped the nails about 10 times. So then, I am crawling on the floor (Thank God it is tile instead of carpet!) and sweeping my hands across the floor because I can't see those itty, bitty nails. I am, also grateful I bought 2 packages of hinges so I could afford to lose some of the nails. I finally got the two hinges on (one a little crooked) and I felt like I had accomplished building the Taj Mahal. I put the doorknob on with no trouble because I had so much practice with the nails in the hinges. So, now my door is attached to the outside frame and it swings!! That part took me about 10 hours to accomplish. I took pictures and showed everyone at work and they were impressed. How could they not be? The door is tiny but looks real! 

So, then the door spends some time on the table because of other things in my life and when I come back to it I realize my granddaughter has played with the door and the doorknob has fallen off! And I am so glad it happened because now I realize that a door that is going to be opened and closed over and over by a 7-year-old  probably needs to be glued on as well as nailed on! So I glue the knob on and nail it back in place and I am ready to put it on the house.

Then I tried to attach it to the house-guess what? The inside frame is too little and it stops the door from swinging in, however, the door is the thickness of both frames so the door doesn't sit flush and the hinges don't fit properly. So, instead of spending 7 hours sanding the inside door frame which is attached to the house, I decide to use my Dremel. Luckily, I knew a little bit about using it and chose the correct sanding bit and work really slowly to avoid round gou
ges in the wood. Then I used my handy, dandy X-Acto knife to trim the corners and after a lot of exacting work, the door fits!!

0225170025.jpg

Bless your heart, Cheryl!  I fought the good fight with hinges & brass brads, looking at how the doors in my 1:1 house were hinged, and put the hinges away.  For a long time I sandwiched strips of chamois between the pieces of the door and the frame & wall for hinging.  Then I began to make my  own doors and fiddled with figuring out how to pin-hinge them, and that's where I am now (after I've forgotten how many houses I'd built by then...).  I always felt like I was sanding half the door away to get the darned thing to work!  Yours is certainly very nicely done!

Well done Cheryl! I never realized how bad my eyesight is or how shaky my hands are until I attempted the hinges. I finally drilled holes with a hand pin drill and dropped super glue in the holes and finally got something workable.

5 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Well done Cheryl! I never realized how bad my eyesight is or how shaky my hands are until I attempted the hinges. I finally drilled holes with a hand pin drill and dropped super glue in the holes and finally got something workable.

Glue to back up the nails is a good idea, especially for a house that will be played with. The nails alone won't hold for very long. I'd put a drop of glue on the back of the hinge as well as in the nail holes.

You guys are getting me hooked on looking at the forum every day! 

I am learning a lot about building, getting creative and suspending reality and also tons about social media. I now know how to post to different forums, add a picture, like things, and follow others!!

When will I have time to build? I'll have to retire to have enough time to spend on the forums and build my houses, but then I will have no money for furnishings!! LOL

What's a Dollhouse Novice to do???:eek:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dollhouse Novice said:

You guys are getting me hooked on looking at the forum every day! 

I am learning a lot about building, getting creative and suspending reality and also tons about social media. I now know how to post to different forums, add a picture, like things, and follow others!!

When will I have time to build? I'll have to retire to have enough time to spend on the forums and build my houses, but then I will have no money for furnishings!! LOL

What's a Dollhouse Novice to do???:eek:

You will learn to make your furniture, accessories and dolls, like I did.

On 8/7/2016, 1:28:46, KathieB said:

Just one?  Or are you like me and call the little bloopers challenges instead of mistakes? :D 

Ok- I have to agree with that. Whenever I start a new project (Not necessarily a dollhouse) I make so many little mistake. And where is the harm in that? Mistakes can turn into something amazing! 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade'

3 hours ago, IndiGhost said:

Ok- I have to agree with that. Whenever I start a new project (Not necessarily a dollhouse) I make so many little mistake. And where is the harm in that? Mistakes can turn into something amazing! 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade'

It's called a learning curve ... we all experience them. :) 

I spent Sunday working on some wallpapering. I took the 5 tower pieces off my Harrison, ripped off the window frames, re-sanded, added some wood putty to the scars left from my ripping things off, and re-painted the outside a darker green. I am in the process of wallpapering the inside walls of the tower. I have done the downstairs portion. I am waiting for some crown moulding to arrive before I paper the upper room. The wallpaper has a top border so I want to measure the crown moulding on the wall before deciding where to start the paper.

I have tried to post some pictures but I could only post one of the Orchid door under a different forum on this site. I am uploading pics from my phone and when I try to drag them over I get the message 'upload failed.' I may be uploading them wrong to my computer. Will have to work on that this weekend!!

I have done some nice things I would like to share...I also have some "opportunities for learning" (unexpected happenings, challenges, mistakes, bloopers, oops, etc.).

Hi Cheryl, you can start an album. Go to the very top of the this page.  To the left of your name it says"create"  click the arrow and a drop down menu will appear. Click on gallery and you can start  posting pictures.  You probably will have to resize them .You can resize them at http://www.picresize.com/

Good luck.