Waving from SoCal

Hello everyone!  I can't express how excited I am to be among you!  Let me first say that though I am an avid doll collector, I have never, ever built a dollhouse!  This new journey on which I am about to embark however, has been in the works for decades!  

About 20 years ago, I purchased a Willowcrest kit from Ben Franklin when they were going out of business.  It was to be a project for my (then) teenage daughter and I to do together...as soon as we had space and time.  Well life had other plans...job transfers, relocations, etc, and that dollhouse faded into the background and was forgotten.  Fast forward several years...my mom passed away, and as I was cleaning out the garage of her home, I found the dollhouse!  I had forgotten that I had stored it there years ago.  Now living alone, and semi-retired, space and time were no longer an issue...I thought I was ready to begin...HA!  After pulling out the instruction book, I realized this would be no easy task!  I still wanted to do it, but had to think on it a bit.

Serendipitously, several weeks ago, I went to an estate sale with a friend.  She was looking for things for to decorate her new apartment, and I just went along for the ride.  What I found was a mass of miniatures!  As I was picking out a few pieces for my future dollhouse, the woman running the sale comes up behind me and says "I'll give you a good price if you take it all". And that's how I ended up with 4 large boxes of miniatures, furniture, kits, accessories, etc. I know I can't possibly use it all...hoping to sell the excess.  Trouble is, most of the pieces are unmarked.  Everything was just thrown into boxes willy nilly!  I did find some labels in the bottoms of the boxes, but since I had no way of knowing what came off what, I just threw them away.

Can someone recommend a good reference...book or website that would help identify some of the pieces?

Edited by Squarepeg78

Welcome to the little family, April.  I wouldn't be in any hurry to sell off any of your miniatures, because what you don't use in the Willowcrest you might need for the next house (oh, yes; I guess no one told you that building dollhouses is like eating potato chips...)

• Like 4

Waving from the East Coast.. :wave:  Welcome to our little family!  So glad you could join us.  :) 

Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start- and don't worry, there are plenty of folks on here that are willing to share advice, suggestions and encouragement as you build your dollhouse.  Remember- there are NO 'silly questions', so ask away! 

Have fun going thru you boxes of little treasures - and don't forget to take pics of your house progress! We love eye candy here.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum

you can try to google your items and see if they match up to what you find on the web and I agree with the others...you might want to keep your furniture for future builds or you can trade it away for things you really want for your future build ( I have some 1/6 scale stuff that Im hanging on too because my DH got a dollhouse mansion from a house clean out..it's all plastic but I have big plans for it so everytime I run across some 1/6 scale stuff I grab it)  I can't wait to see your photos :)

Thanks for the welcome, Holly!  Yes, I've been told that this is an addicting hobby.  I'm not really in a hurry to sell anything....just want to know what I have!  Most of it looks to be from the 70s....really nice.  Some I like as is, others I might like with a few "changes".  I really don't want to go sanding, repainting, or otherwise modifying what might be a rare or valuable piece...as a novice. i know that there are many mess ups in my future.  I think I would rather risk ruining an inexpensive, easily replaceable item.

Jackie, I'm in Victorville...about 85 miles NE of LA, on the way to Vegas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome, Holly!  Yes, I've been told that this is an addicting hobby.  I'm not really in a hurry to sell anything....just want to know what I have!  Most of it looks to be from the 70s....really nice.  Some I like as is, others I might like with a few "changes".  I really don't want to go sanding, repainting, or otherwise modifying what might be a rare or valuable piece...as a novice. i know that there are many mess ups in my future.  I think I would rather risk ruining an inexpensive, easily replaceable item.

Hi, April, and welcome! I wouldn't say I am addicted, I am just a collector... of lots and lots and lots and lots of dollhouses.  Which of course need LOTSnfurniture and accessories, right? And they need pets, and landscaping... of course I can't pass up a poor lonely house on craigslist... or an estate sale... ummmm... OK, addicted might be a good word.  :0)  

Congratulations on your house and your estate sale score, can't wait to see pictures!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum. Sorry this is so late. I am in SoCal also, in Dana Point. I must tell you how much the forum has helped me.You can put out any question an they will all help you, and no question is foolish. Have fun with this hobby and enjoy your imagination.

Gail & :bear:

• Like 1