magnetic electrical connectors

mesp2k

You've seen those magnetic necklace clasps - well I want to do something like that but as an electrical connector. NO - I'm NOT going to wear it... :) 

This would solve the wiring problems I had with the pack-away house.

Yu can not solder to nickle coated super magnets so I thought I would punch out a disc from a metal can.  Then I could solder a wire to the disc & stick it to the magnet.

Then mold a cube of silicone or rubbery polymer clay around the assembly.  Scupley has Eraser, Mold Maker, Bake & Bend?  Is rubbery clay conductive??

Where 2 walls come together the connectors would be glued to each wall & make electrical contact w/o having to plug/unplug connectors!

Make sense?  Will it work?

I would think anything remotely like rubber is not conductive and this sounds like a great idea if you're going to move sections of your house often. The only thing I'm thinking is if the sections aren't exactly lined up and solid, then any vibration from say, a large truck passing might cause them to move a little and make your lights flicker.

What kind of connectors were you talking about that have to be plugged and unplugged? Are you talking about tape wiring or hard wiring? Because if you're talking about tape wiring, you know the lead-in wire that connects your cord to the transformer on one end and to a junction splice on the other end? I've seen a set up where if you have to break two sections of the house apart, you would have a junction splice on each section that would be close to each other when the house is put together. Now they're making a lead-in wire a couple inches long with each end being able to attach to a junction splice.

So you'd shove your two house sections together, grab the lead-in wire and plug each end into a junction splice and that would run a continuous current through both sections. When you need to move the sections, you just unplug the junction splices and you don't have to worry about breaking any tape or anything pulling apart.

Or is that what you're talking about when you say you don't want to plug and unplug anything?

• Like 1

Thanks for the input girls :) 

Kelly this would be hard wiring.  The super magnets hold strong.  

And walls slide apart.  Most of the cube things will be glued to the inside of the interior walls, ceiling light cubes to the inside of the ceiling & outside lights - to the inside of an exterior wall - phew...

large.ele2016h.png.370ad0ed7a9e7892feeaf

I wouldn't think anything rubber or plastic would conduct electricity, but as long as one end of each set of magnets is exposed, would it matter?  Just make sure that the polarity of one set of magnets' exposed end isn't the same as the end you want it to connect to, since the same polarity will repel each other.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't want the magnets repelling each other Holly. :) 

Talking electrical now as you can see in the drawing there's a (+ & -) block, this is where I did not want electricity leaking if the flex clay isn't a good insulator...

large.ele2016i.png.0ae6c9bdbb87ac3d1f77b