Staining after glueing??

rimali87

I know it isn't the best choice but I am building the inside staircase for my daughter's dollhouse (The Pierce ) and I can't find my wood stain anywhere. I live quite a ways out from stores so I can't just pop in the car and get more. Can I stain it after I glue it together or is that just a big no no? I've been making progress, however slow, so I'd like to keep things moving but I don't want to rush and do a sloppy job out of impatience.  Any advice would be helpful. :)

I'd suggest you wait. Even the tiniest drop of glue that squeezes out of a joint will mean a spot where the stain won't cover and it will wink at you every time you glance in its direction. Get it all prepped/sanded and dry fit it, but don't glue it until you have a chance to stain it first. 

I can tell you from personal experience that what Kathie said is true.  Do you have any paint, water color or acrylic, that you could mix to the color you want to stain?  Then you can dilute is down with water (test on kit wood scraps) and when you get the shade & transparency you want when it dries on your test scrap, stain your staircase pieces with it.  I learned that even carefully wiping off the glue oozes with a damp rag leaves a light residue that will resist the stain.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I can tell you from personal experience that what Kathie said is true.  Do you have any paint, water color or acrylic, that you could mix to the color you want to stain?  Then you can dilute is down with water (test on kit wood scraps) and when you get the shade & transparency you want when it dries on your test scrap, stain your staircase pieces with it.  I learned that even carefully wiping off the glue oozes with a damp rag leaves a light residue that will resist the stain.

Great tip with the water color.  I'm going to try it, too.