Steampunk bathroom

25 posts in this topic

Feeling pretty excited with how this steampunk bathroom for my fairy house is turning out. I still have plenty of details left to make - candles, soap, towels, etc. Thinking of some sheer coppery curtains(?) Ceiling will be a mural of an old world map. The odd shape is because it will actually in a turret / tree trunk that is attached to the side of my bashed Westville. Just wanted to share :)

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

IMG_8137.jpg

4 people like this

Gina I wish you'd do a tutorial on how you made your little commode stool.  Either a copper colored silk scarf, or one with all the prints of chains, etc, would make a fun shower curtain; I sometimes find those in thrift stores.

1 person likes this

It's adorable!  I love the sink!

1 person likes this

Love the whole bathroom! I agree with Holly, though, a tutorial on how you made your commode would be awesome.

Great work!

Commode Tutorial

For the commode: I cut the end off of a travel sized lotion bottle for the bowl. I covered that in foil to mimic the tub, and painted copper. 

I made a smallish base out of air dry clay, when that was dry I came back and added "bulk" by covering it in the tentacles pictured. The original plan was to paint them like octopus tentacles that are often used in steampunk design but liked the way they turned out. 

I cut the seat and lid out of thin balsa wood, lots of sanding, paint and clear coat. If I was doing a modern lid I would have used plastic, but the look I was going for just said "wood" to me. 

The piping was pieced together using plastic rods from the hobby store. I used a tiny hourglass charm in the center, just thought it looked neat. 

Tank was made from balsa and the gear on the front was from the scrapbooking section of my craft store. (I turned the rest of those gears into the mirrors on the wall.) I used the chain from a broken necklace for the pull chain. 

Hope this was helpful! 

Gina :)

4 people like this

Fabulous and so creative! :clap:

For curtains what about sheer wide ribbon, even wired ribbon (after removing the wire). I've found some great ribbons in the craft isles.

1 person likes this

Thank you, Gina!  That turned out so very well!

I love your bathroom, especially the stained glass windows!  And thanks for the tutorial, that will come in handy.

I can't wait to see what you do next!

I absolutley adore your stemapunk bathroom! It so spot on!!! Love the battub too, how ever did you achieve that layer on layer effect?

Looking forward to seeing the items in their intended space to!

Hugs

1 person likes this

For the tub I made the shape out of card stock and covered with a base layer of foil.

The panels were double layered foil squares with rolled edges and embossed to look like nail heads. I wanted this tub looked like it was constructed from pieces of scrap metal so I made several panels  in different sizes,  I layered  these  panels over the base, gave it a coat or two of metallic copper paint,  then glazed with dark brown to bring out details. I  topped everything with  clear coat to bring out the look of metal. 

2 people like this

The entire bathroom is wonderful!  I can practically see little puffs of steam...

1 person likes this

Found this Octopus charm in the jewelry section, added candle arms (& candles) and a few bit of mirror. 

13557749_10209838806988404_2816972362039044513_n.jpg

1 person likes this

Gina, it just gets better & better!

I can practically hear the steam rattling in the pipes. Great work, Gina! :clap: 

And we have light! I wanted something unique/industrial, I am pleased with the result :). Glass dome with a copper coil inside, lit by 3 gor bulbs.

14045891_10210306786127590_2511220453515474804_n.jpg

14100423_10210306786927610_7099183005136474040_n.jpg

1 person likes this

You have done a really terrific job on this one!  Congratulations on finding exactly the right light fixture.

The light goes perfectly in there!  I think my fav is the bath though....  :)

The tufting used as the wall treatment just caught my eye. What a great idea for this room! And perfectly executed.

Thank you - this was a textured scrapbook paper, I painted  the gold "buttons" to create the tufted look.

LOVING how this steampunk diver from Stewart Dollhouse Creations turned out. After agonizing on how to paint her, I finally chose   metallic copper then glazed black, added gear base as a finishing touch. It turned out better then I had hoped :).

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8531.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

1 person likes this

She's perfect for the scene! :clap: