First time electrical challenges

kemck

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this may have come up before, but I haven't found it in my search so here goes-

When I started trying to add tape wire and hammer in eyelets in the back wall of my Arthur, I noticed that the glue began to come loose around the walls, and I have been stalled on my build ever since. Does anyone have ideas for how to keep the back walls that are less structurally integrated stable when hammering on the house? I'm very stuck. I don't want to permanently damage the house. I thought about wiring mostly from the floor which seems more stable, but I'd also like a ceiling light in one of the upper rooms and porch lights, so will need to solve this problem eventually!  Thanks for any ideas!

Can you lay the house on its back, so the back wall is flat on the table? 

Can you use an awl or tiny drill to start the hole and then just PUSH the eyelet into the started hole? (Hold it with a pair of pliers with masking tape on the jaws to keep from denting the eyelet.) Place the hand not holding the pliers on the other side of the wall, so you're pressing against it. Does that make sense?

Or shoot some heavy staples into the wall joint in 3 or  4 places to lend support to the glue.

Somehow the idea of taking a hammer to pound on a wall enough to loosen it makes me shudder. Surely there's a less forceful way to accomplish the deed.

It also makes me wonder what kind of glue you used to glue the walls in place. You didn't use hot glue, did you?

I tend to flip my houses around a lot whilst building, so in addition to the good carpenters wood glue I use I also pop a few heavy duty staples along each join.  That said, I'm also wondering what sort of glue you used, as when I have to go back to hammer on something I don't have any threats of separation.

I used wood glue, and wasn't pounding hard at all. The upper wall just isn't held in by much at this point since the joint with the lower wall is just a straight line and the joint with the side walls also doesn't stick into any other wood part like the other walls and floors do. The roof is not complete yet, because I want to add the wallpaper before I secure it in place. I'm sure having a secured roof would add stability to the wall, but since this is my first time installing wallpaper too I'm hesitant to complete the roof at this stage. 

If you add staples how do you trim or hide them on the inside of the wall?

46 minutes ago, kemck said:

If you add staples how do you trim or hide them on the inside of the wall?

They go on the outside, not the inside. They are covered by whatever siding you put on the house.

1 hour ago, kemck said:

...If you add staples how do you trim or hide them on the inside of the wall?

I pop the staple through one thickness of plywood into the leading edge of the adjoining piece, so the points of the staple are inside the plywood of the adjoining piece.  As Kathie points out, the back of the staple is on the outside, so whatever exterior treatment you give your walls will cover it.  Just before I put on the exterior treatments I go around and hammer the backs of the staples flat into the wood.