Not from a kit but my own design

Allusionist

New member and starting my first of what I hope is many more adventures in building.  As I was looking around the house I discovered a great deal of plywood from different projects: Akume of different widths from building a small boat and a kayak and thought why not use it to see if I could actually build a doll house from it's thin enough to keep it from being to heavy to move around and sturdy enough to deal with the efforts of working on it.  So have been looking through the holy grail of miniature books for the past few weeks and I have finally gotten to the point starting to construct.  I've drawn up what I hope is a workable house design. with the size rooms I want.  I've got enough wood and plywood to at least get started.  The only thing I'm thinking about rethinking is whether I want that front porch or not.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  This a complete do it yourself plan from the bathroom and kitchen fixtures, all furniture, windows, doors and roofing material.

LIGHTING MAINFLOOR.png

SECOND FLOOR LIGHTING.png

Edited by allusionist2day@yahoo.com

6 hours ago, allusionist2day@yahoo.com said:

New member and starting my first of what I hope is many more adventures in building.

Hi, CJ, and welcome to the forum!

What do you consider the holy grail of miniature books? Enquiring minds want to know! :D 

I don't see scale indicated. The size of the window openings makes me think this is 1:12. 

Your floor plan looks interesting. If I were shopping for a real house, I might wish the sunroom to be off the dining room rather than the living room. It would be better suited for dining informally, but that's purely a personal inclination. I can also see the sunroom used as a home office, which would lend credence to keeping it right where it is. 

On the second floor, will the stairway open into a hallway? Is that the bathroom front/center? The bedrooms are a nice size.

I don't see any notation for hinges. Will one wall be removable so you can access the interior? I like the stairway against the back wall; it's there but not blocking any view.

As for the porch, there's no reason to make the porch now. It does not have to be attached. You could make it later and just push it up against the house. That would also make it easier to move the house when it's finished.

We have a few folks here who build from scratch, Jeremy (Pdlnpeabody) has build several (see Jeremy's photo Gallery here), as has Peter (Gillman) (see Peter's Gallery here). There are others I can't think of off the top of my head.

With that nifty wood on hand, it sounds as if you're not a beginner at woodworking. Please do go over to the New Member forum and introduce yourself. :) 

I am also curious as to which book you consider the "Holy Grail"; Dorie Krucz's?  Will you be building your house as iscrete rooms that will fit together, but can be removed to access for redecorating later on, or will you have hinged or removable walls so it can be played with?  (I do play with my houses.)  And do please introduce yourself in the Newcomer's Forum.

If I am not mistaken that area with the 3 doors in front of the bathroom is the hallway where the stairs will land. I like the design, it is like what I have in my real life house: living room, kitchen, dining room. About the sunroom, you could also have your dinner and then go to the sunroom to have a little siesta:sleep_1:!

Welcome to the forum CJ, are you an architect? lots of professional details on your design!

To Answer all the questions:

The reason I was thinking of not doing the porch is because the house is front  opening, and I wasn't sure if the porch would be sturdy enough, but the idea that I could build it and leave it detached might be something of a good idea.

First floor ceilings are 12" and second floor will be 10".  I have been toying around with the idea of adding an attic  but haven't figured out where to put the stairway up to it other then a drop down and then where would I put that as well.  The inch markings are for doorway, window, stairwell, wall lengths and I forgot to put the heights :)

Just a closet architect.  I am always modifying plans that I see from time to time and I like the idea of creating special and unique with my own hands.  The plan is from the DIY book by Venus and Martin Dodge I just fiddled with it.

As to the holy grail of miniature books for a beginner

All About Doll Houses by Barbara L. Farlie with Charlotte L. Clarke 

The Big Book of a  Miniature House by Christine Lea Frisoni

Bulid a Doll's House by Michal Morse

A Beginners' Guide to the Doll's House Hobby, The Big Book of The Dolls House,  by Jean Nesbit

Dollhouse Lightening by Barbara Warner

How to Make Your Dollhouse Special Fresh Ideas for Decorating and Style by Beryl Armstrong

Making Doll houses in 1/12 scale byBrian Nicols

The New Doll House Do It Yourself Book in 1/12 and 1/16 scale by Venus and Martin Dodge

All those I've read and studied which doesn't include the books on furniture building in 1/12 scale.  Which is what the house will be in.  Some I brought quite a few actually some I borrowed from the library fro seriously extended periods of time.  Each has given me ideas and caused me to look for more information on what I want to produce.

I want to thank you all for your interest it's very helpful to a beginner so thanks for the interest :)

CJ

• Like 1

On 7/1/2016, 10:34:24, GinaH said:

I considered building from scratch, completely chickened out. I am kit bashing like a crazy person :).

I thought about it for about 3 seconds then figured I have wood, weekends and tools so why not.  I however have started rethinking this but committed so doing the best I can with what I got.  Maybe next time I will go for a kit. :)

• Like 1