Have you ever had.....

jbresr

one of those days when you complete a part of your build and then say it's probably not gonna look so good and now I remember why I dont like doing that part??  Well I just finished grouting

my foundation and am waiting for it to dry but somehow it dont look just right to me (okay so I am a tad bit of a perfectionist when it comes to building - other things not so much!).  I now remember why I dont like grouting altho I didnt make as big a mess as I used to.  I will update this post with pictures as soon as it is dried and put together most likely not till Tues.

Oh I think it is break time now.....

Kelly, that made me LOL!

Oh, no, this never happens to me! Everything I do is perfect and turns out exactly how I planned!! KIDDING!!!! This happens to all of us, and it's always worse if it's a new technique or rarely used skill. But it seems that most things can be manageable, and eventually fit into the build, and it all turns out fine. Don't stress out too much about it, and definitely take a break. I seem to always have parts of the build that can be worked on separately, so if I just can't take working on one part one more day, then I set it aside and work on another part. Build a chair, paint something, sew some pillows, shop for accessories.

I'm going to be doing bricks and mortar for the barn, so I'm interested to see how yours turned out. Any helpful tips?

• Like 1

When I built the Beacon Hill (my avatar), I cut egg carton bricks and glued them to a  horizontal line.  The spacing between them was just guess work.  Since the brick went from ground to roof, I painted the entire area with paint then dry brushed with stain, after that was dry, I used Mod Podge to seal them.  Dry grout from Lowe's was mixed with Elmer's glue and pushed into the area between the bricks.  The Mod Podge kept the grout from sticking to the brick and I could just brush it off with a damp cloth.  It was messy and labor intensive but I love how it turned out.

Happened with the exterior of my Thornhill. I was so certain that mud as stucco was the best answer. After, I then only considered the ramifications - windows need smooth surface, quoins, appliques...

I let it sit for a while, after all this was to be my dream house, and the exterior should reflect that. After a while, I took a sander to it and went to town. And again. And again. This created much spackle dust, which unbeknownst to me settled on a previously built Seaside Villa. 

I was pretty much at peace with the results, but in hindsight I should have been more aggressive at corners and back. Then I worked over the color multiple times. Knowing what I know now about stippling and how to achieve effects, I may go back to it and add more wear and weathering.