My very first dollhouse build!

Hello everyone!

It's been a VERY long time since I've had a dollhouse and have never built one, so this is new for me.  I'm a home haunter (someone who LOVES Halloween and decorates to the extreme and builds their own decorations), so I got the Orchid kit to turn into a haunted house.  I spend a lot of time building decorations for the outside of my home, so I tend to neglect the inside.

Since it's really hot outside right now, my Halloween builds have come to a screeching halt, so this project will be a great thing to keep me in the Halloween spirit until the cool weather returns!  :)  I'm excited to get going.  The only problems I foresee are: 1) I'm not good with directions - meaning, I don't usually read them. lol!  and 2) I get excited with a project when I see it in my head and tend to rush to get it done.  I'm hoping this project teaches me to slow down, take my time and have patience.

I'm going to cruise around here and see everyone's work and hopefully learn some tips and tricks!

Deb

Hi Deb welcome to the forum!

[SEARCH] is up in the right-hand corner,

select IMAGES - enter: orchid or haunted or halloween, etc.

to see some of our members' houses...

Welcome to the little family, Deb.  You can also click on  member name to go to their profile page where you can click on their albums to see the houses they have built/ rehabbed..  Some of our members build from scratch, not kits, and some of us also make all the furniture, dolls & accessories we put into our houses.  And some of us build in scales other than the Orchid's 1:12.

Hello, Deb, and welcome to the forum! 

You'll find that even without directions, the Orchid will go together well. And if a haunted house has a few oopsies . .  . well, it probably won't matter in the overall scheme of things. I made a Washington 2.0 (similar in size to the Orchid) into a Haunted Hangout for the little plastic skeletons that populate stores before Halloween and had more fun doing it than the law should allow. See it here in the Greenleaf Gallery. 

There are a LOT more photos of details in my Blogspot blog, here. Keep scrolling down. At the end, click on the Older Posts button for more entries.

Take a lot of photos as you work. They'll be handy when you look back and essential to feeding our limitless appetite for eye candy. When you've made 5 posts, you can open a Gallery here. Please do keep us posted with your progress.

Hi, Deb, Welcome!

I know what you mean about having to read through directions (I have gotten myself into a little trouble that way). First comes the excitement of having the kit in your hands, then you open the box and things kind of deflate - all those pieces and the directions that might as well be written in a foreign language! You have to teach yourself to take deep breaths and read everything first. This is a learning process. As you go through the steps, your (newly found) patience will pay off. After you have built a house - or two - then some of this will be more intuitive, but I have really found that I have to channel my excitement into a kind of patience and I think that is what eventually puts me into my favorite state - the "dh zone." So have fun and go with it!