Eureka, inspiration finally struck (after 2 years)!

moonberry

Remember that old dollhouse shell without doors, roof and trim that I wanted to make into a department store?  Well, I finally got hit by that wonderful streak of inspiration one night in a dream. Woke up the next morning, determined to find a way to bash another house on top of the department store.

The only logical house would be either of the front-opening Greenleaf houses. But they are very scarce. Literally an hour later, I found a Gloucester on eBay and jumped at the chance.

It will fit perfectly on top of the other shell with just a little bit of the bottom house being bigger. I will just have to come up with a creative way to finish off that edge or add small roof tiles or something else quirky.

Then I had to redesign the entire front of the two houses. I don't like the Gloucester's door & windows, I want to make my house more Parisian. So I spent a happy evening on Pinterest just checking out all the various buildings in Paris. 

I'm building all my houses to be in Expatville, no specific location, no specific timeline. So I'm free to add some modern twists to the house instead of sticking to period details.  For fun, I've ordered 3 massive oval attic windows and I'm going to change the roof into a Mansard style. 

Mme Hanna loves roses and pink, so I'm doing the whole building according to her taste. The fabric showrooms will have to be black/white/gray, otherwise the pink will just clash with all the fabric colours. I'm collecting rose print fabrics, furniture, paintings as well as pink items too.

Here are some progress photos in my gallery:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=6851

• Like 3

Sometimes it takes a while for the seed of an idea to germinate. Can't wait to watch this one burst into bloom!  It will be a veritable rose garden. :) 

FYI, I like window option 2 better. Breaking the set of 3 smaller bays with a flat window seems a bit awkward to me.

• Like 1