A question - Miss Marples Morningside Cottage

smjsome

My friend has the dvd about the building of the Morningside cottage - the actual DH is at the museum in KC.

anyway - she was lent the dvd, and given a complete nutshell news - she can't keep all those magazines, but while watching the dvd, it lists the magazines that feature that dollhouse.

my question is, I have a faint memory of someone involved in the building of that DH, or furniture for it, asking if anyone had copies of the magazines that had pictures of it.  Does anyone know anything?  It may have been elsewhere.

Well, if no one knows anything  - I wouldn't mind the magazines - I was actually thinking about making a Marple room box/house. 

I believe that was Kelly/MiniLover62, I had sent her a link for the year with the last issue she was looking for before. If she doesn't pipe in though, I'd definitely be interested -- some wonderful work there.

And now I'm interested in teh DVD...it sounds like a great miniaturist thing to do - to take a video of a great and beloved dollhouse. And then share it - like having friends over! It's awesome the sharing/showing continues despite us having lost two enthusiastic miniaturists.

• Like 1

Sharon, just heard from Kelly that she did indeed buy the lot on Ebay that had that issue. If you could let your friend know I would still be very interested, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you so much for letting us know!

Pam Throop does some beautiful work. Now that I think about it, I think I saw this cottage once at the name show in Santa Clara in 1988 or at the Good Sam show in San Jose.

Pam also made an English pub and she did it so authentically, she recreated the thickened glass at the bottom of the windows. Glass, as you know, is a liquid and after many centuries, it flows down the windows in those old pubs that have been there for so long that the glass is actually thicker at the bottom than at the top.

Hi! I am one of the people that worked with Pam on that house and a few others.  I did some carved pieces of bedroom furniture and the wicker.  I had a tape. I haven't seen it in years. We no longer have a tape player.  I was happy to find out where it landed. I also did people for several of her builds, but not that one. She already had Miss Marple commissioned when I met her.

Thank you, Sharon, for the information.  We have the English Pub here in Tucson, at the Mini Time Machine, museum of miniatures. Plus a couple of other pieces that Pam did.  She was a wonderful miniaturist. I miss her.

• Like 1

I would love to see this DVD...I think I will try to track one down. I also think it would be cool to have an area at the Portland mini show where videos like this were showing. So people could  rest their feet a bit and watch some videos of other collections. Hmmm....I will look into that.

and we go to the museum here frequently - I stare at that house.  I feel like that house has influenced the way I work on my own house, as far as realism. 

Now I will be able to say - and look - that's Caseys wicker!  Which bedroom furniture did you do?

Sharon, I carved the bed and dressing table in Miss Marple's room and any wicker that you see in the cottage.  I was just starting out in wicker.  I actually unraveled Penelope needlepoint canvas to get the thread to do it!  Not my best work, but Pam encouraged me and I got better at it.  Unless someone replaced the pieces, those are mine.  The last time I saw photos they were still there.

The magazine that I was looking for was the Miniature Collector's one showing Pat Balazs Jupie's Cottage (which I found BTW!) but I have the Nutshell News with The Morningside Cottage article. I am not sure if it is complete because my magazine unfortunately has one missing page (71/72), and even though the article ends on the 70th page, I am not sure if on the next page it had something else. I would love to know if I missed something or not. 

I scanned the article and here you have it:

Image (17).jpg

Image (18).jpg

Image (19).jpg

Image (20).jpg

Image (21).jpg

Image (22).jpg

Image (23).jpg

Image (24).jpg

I'd say that's the complete article because there's a square at the end.

I checked all my magazines and wouldn't you know, I am missing all of 1989 thru 1991. Figures.

I could have sworn I saw that cottage at the NAME show in Santa Clara, but if the article date is 1990, then maybe I saw it at the Good Sam show after all.

Kelly, I looked at the square at the end, and had the same feeling, but I checked at another article on the same magazine, and guess what? it has the same square at the end, but there are pictures on the next page, this is why I would like to make sure that I (and now you all) have everything.