Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Glencroft: Living Room Inspiration

14 posts in this topic

Intro of my project HERE

LIVING ROOM
I always loved Tudor architecture. I live here in Los Angeles and there is A LOT of 1920s built Tudor homes that have always caught my eye.  Living in a 1920s building myself, I always loved the finished and details that you just don't see in modern day constructions.  Thus, leading me to focus my finishes and details around the 1920s. 

m225871.jpg  IMG_5327.jpg  traditional-staircase.jpg  before.jpg

Photo 1:
For the living room, I decided nothing would look richer than to do dark stained floor to ceiling paneling. I think to achieve this I plan on creating secondary walls traced from the kit walls out of the same kit style wood. Doing all the finishes and wiring and then gluing the wall into place directly over a kit wall. This is still a theory so stay tuned to see the work in progress.

Photo 2:
I thought a carved stone fireplace would look great with the wall paneling. Luckily, I found THIS ONE which will be really easy to paint and inset into the existing fireplace cavity. 

Photo 3:
The provided staircase with the kit is cute and all, but not good enough for this project.  My goal is to make this as to-scale as possible with as much detail as possible so I plan on making the stairs a bit more grand and intricate. I love the look of the heavy balusters and the square newel posts. I think it will be easy to achieve using pre made staircase pieces and just hand making the newel posts out of square dowels and some baseboard moulding trimmed down.  Like I said above.... we'll see how this theory plays out. 

Photo 4:
Lastly is the ceiling. The first picture has a hint of this finish but the last picture shows what I want in a bit more detail. White plaster ceiling with heavy crossed beams, trimmed with a small crown moulding.  I have a feeling that this is going to be a pain. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do a detailed ceiling like that please share! 

Stay Tuned for my next post: Dining Room Inspiration

It's OK to add your Glencroft posts to the original topic you started; it will certainly make it easier for other Glencroft builders using the "Search" feature to find your posts if they are in a single topic.

1 person likes this

Great inspiration pics.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

It's OK to add your Glencroft posts to the original topic you started; it will certainly make it easier for other Glencroft builders using the "Search" feature to find your posts if they are in a single topic.

Good to know! Thanks!! 

I'm currently experimenting with a fireplace like the one you are planning on ordering. I'm working on getting the front mantle part only, so that I can add the back from mini bricks. I will know tomorrow if my cast will work. I'll post pictures if it does. But in theory it should be doable

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

The Glencroft fireplace is a great size. Your inspiration photos look great.

Here is my glencroft fireplace...a bit rustic, but its a good kit design:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=62488

Looks great! Ive been debating wether or not to put in a electrical fireplace insert...... Your fireplace definitely makes me want to put one in!

Tracy/ Minisontheedge has a nice tutorial on making your own electric fire.

And there are battery options for fireplace inserts. Battery lights are great for electrical-wiring/taping  procrastinators like me.

So, my partial casting of the fireplace came out okay. About 1 1/2 inch in depth, and the back won't be seen.

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Soapz said:

So, my partial casting of the fireplace came out okay. About 1 1/2 inch in depth, and the back won't be seen.

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

@Soapz This came out AMAZING! 

If you want it, I can mail one to you.

And I forgot to add: Veneer on Ebay - they offer a really good deal and the quality is great. I use their veneer for paneling.

On 7/18/2016, 5:33:33, Soapz said:

If you want it, I can mail one to you.

And I forgot to add: Veneer on Ebay - they offer a really good deal and the quality is great. I use their veneer for paneling.

@soapz Boo! Sadly the one I ordered just came today.  Thank you so much though!  I already cut out the new hole in the wall for the fireplace and inset it into the wall and it looks so much better! I centered it on the wall of the living room for a more symmetrical look. You can still see the hole from the old fireplace placement. 

Also, THANK YOU for recommending that veneer place! I placed an order with them today!

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_9009.JPG