The Glencroft: Dining Room & Kitchen Inspiration

chrisatoledo

Intro of my project HERE

DINING ROOM
The current kit doesnt have a designated dining room so I got the idea to add a room to the left of the house for the kitchen and turn the existing kitchen into the dining room.   

traditional-living-room.jpg  12feae98721e13ee9df52b5fda722f29.jpg  images.jpg  

Photo 1:
My first step when beginning my build will be to redo the wall between the living room and dining. As of now there is a small door on the right half of the wall and I plan on centering the door and creating a wide tudor styled archway as the one pictured above (Sans the pocket doors) and putting two sconces on either side of the wall. Parallel to this archway will be the new doorway into the kitchen. Possibly a swinging door. 

Photo 2 & 3:
I plan on continuing the paneling from the living room into the dining except in the dining, I only plan on taking it about 3/4 up the wall as pictured. I also plan on continuing the same crossed beam detail from the living room ceiling in here. Since I won't start this room until the living room is done, I hope to be pretty handy with the paneling at this point. (I hope)

KITCHEN
The kitchen as I mentioned will be a while new add on.  Im going to make my like easy and keep the finishes here simple. 

5233ece36738e719e013858d19028cc6.jpg  20hb-crane-pencil.jpg

Photo 1:
I love this old sink and stove. Im still debating if I want to do a checkered floor as pictured or a large slate slab floor which seems more true to the Tudor-ness of the house.  What do you think?

Photo 2:
Same Idea as the first photo. 

Stay Tuned for my next post: Exterior

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sable said:

It's nothing like Debra's but my Stone House kitchen is similar to what you were planning. 

You need to pan into the room on the bottom left.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101107&browse=1

Beautiful!!! Ive been eying that same Gesetzlich Geschutzt stove online! It looks great in your kitchen! I love love love your whole house! 

The stoves are from a ompany called Bodo Hennig - the " Gesetzlich Geschutz" means copyright protected 'legally protected' design. They occasionally pop up on ebay, price should be less than $45. I paid about $25 each for the two I have. For the wood paneling you might want to look into wood veneer - there are a few great sellers on ebay where I buy 50 to 75 sheets (5x8 inches) for $12 to $15. If you glue them down (non-water based glue or veneer glue) in strips, all you need is glue the frames on top. Doesn't get easier than that.

• Like 1

I did a slab floor...nearly everyone does a slab floor in the Glencroft...I ended up removing mine and putting in wood. I think a checkered floor ala the 1930s would be awesome.  The house a lot more 20s-30s fairytale tudor vibe than real tudor, imo.

love your enthusiasm and inspiration ideas.

• Like 1

Chris, if you're looking at getting that stove off eBay, be aware that there's two different stoves that are being offered. One is wood and the Bodo Henning one is metal. They look almost the same. I personally think the metal one is a better quality, but it will cost a little more than the wood one.

• Like 1

For my Glencroft pub I scribed wood floors directly into the kit wood for the bar and the snug.  I used a "stone" wallpaper bit for the kitchen floor and spackle for the bathroom's "stone slab" floor, as well as for all the plaster, which I left textured.  My roof "slates" are two layers of colored construction paper and all my "bricks" are sandpaper.

Kelly is right. Here is what the wood and the metal one look like:

The first one is the wood stove the second one the Bodo Hennig metal one

holz.jpg

bc580788bdfbf156b50f9fcda1e0eceb.jpg

• Like 1

I always thought the Glencroft would be perfect with a bump-out on the side of the current kitchen...make that room the diningroom (with larger opening from livingroom), and then have a small almost lean-to for a cottage kitchen. I wish I could kitbash and do that, but I am pathetic at it. I do, however love the current deep-sill kitchen window in the current kit - it looks so tudor-painting perfect with flowers or bowls in it - almost a Van Eyck still life...so if I could move that to my tiny bump-out kitchen, it'd be perfection. All pipe dreams for me. Good luck with yours!!!! I had a second Glencroft for this very purpose (to kitbash the daylights out of!), but sold it...as I knew I'd never be able to do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atodonnell said:

You might also check out Otterine's Haunted Heritage kitchen.  It has some similar elements:  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/the-haunted-heritage-a-pictorial

Yes Annie, I was think'n of Brae's kitchen also.  

Hey Brae, are your ears burn'n?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atodonnell said:

You might also check out Otterine's Haunted Heritage kitchen.  It has some similar elements:  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/the-haunted-heritage-a-pictorial

I was JUST looking at this the other day! Im obsessed with the Chrysnbon Bathroom Kit she completely customized! All her work is quite lovely!

1 hour ago, chrisatoledo said:

I was JUST looking at this the other day! Im obsessed with the Chrysnbon Bathroom Kit she completely customized! All her work is quite lovely!

I used Chrysnbon kits in both the bathroom

KathieB's views:  the bathroom

and the kitchen

P3150069.JPG

29 minutes ago, chrisatoledo said:

To be honest, Ive never even heard of an Aga stove, but just looked it up and I am obsessed! Thanks for the tip!! 

I enlarged the patterns for this 1:24 stove to 1:12 for a member

stoveExterior II: courtyards

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

and the kitchen

P3150069.JPG

Looks fantastic!!!! Ive been busting my head trying to figure out how to do the layout in the bathroom because the walls in there are tricky.  Good job on yours!!! The stove in the kitchen looks like real rust iron too!  wow!!

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

and the kitchen

P3150069.JPG

I enlarged the patterns for this 1:24 stove to 1:12 for a member

stoveExterior II: courtyards

And it is sooooo wonderful too, thank you Holly! It is awaiting its right spot though

hugs

50 minutes ago, chrisatoledo said:

Looks fantastic!!!! Ive been busting my head trying to figure out how to do the layout in the bathroom because the walls in there are tricky.  Good job on yours!!! The stove in the kitchen looks like real rust iron too!  wow!!

This was the first kit to speak clearly & distinctly to me, so layout was never an issue once I caved and began to make it into a pub.  There was an article many years ago in American Miniaturist on aging the Chrysnbon kitchen range.  I was looking long &  hard at cookware in the HBS catalog, and the Chrysnbon set was a whole lot cheaper than buying bluestone ware, enamelware and "metal"" bakeware, plus it all looked brand new, unused; so I put all the cookware together, primed it with my flat gray Rustoleum spray primer, and had at it with my tubes of acrylic paints.  Next time DS#2 is here with his digital camera Ill see if I can get a better picture of the kitchen table & chair, since it was my first really nice scratch built furniture and the table legs were my first time playing with Dh's lathe; and the working drawer doesn't show.

I decided not to punch out the window on the side wall in the bathroom and in the kitchen, I switched the side window to put on the front one and didn't punch the side one there out either. That gave me some much needed wall space in both the kitchen and the bathroom. Of course, that meant the side window had to be slightly bashed to fit on the front and that was frustrating swearworthy fun. angel.gif

15 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I decided not to punch out the window on the side wall in the bathroom and in the kitchen, I switched the side window to put on the front one and didn't punch the side one there out either. That gave me some much needed wall space in both the kitchen and the bathroom. Of course, that meant the side window had to be slightly bashed to fit on the front and that was frustrating swearworthy fun. angel.gif

@rodentraiser I would love to see how this turned out!

I'll see if Lisa can get some pictures of it. The kit is up at her house because we're working on the dollhouses together there once a week. She wanted a Glencroft for Christmas, so I got her one and her husband got her one. She could have had a mansion, but she decided it would be more fun if we worked on them together.

If you do decide to leave the window in on the side, be aware that parts of the bookcase are there and you'll have to make new sides for your bookcase.

You might be interested in how we did our stairs. If you look at pictures of the Glencroft, you'll see the stairs start about 3 or so steps out in the living room and go into the bedroom a couple of steps. With Lisa's house, I made a couple of turned steps on the staircase. I put two turned steps each on each landing. That pulled them into the wall in the living room and brought them up to the bedroom without having them go inside the bedroom itself. That mean that the overhang in the living room above the fireplace could be eliminated.

stairs.jpg.3403653934de0fe526e9dd7036f33

Here's a better picture of how the stairs are turned on the bottom landing:stairs.jpg.02e15ef0b56d75f1efb70aae9353d:

My stairs only have one turned step on each landing, so they start one step in the living room and protrude into the bedroom by one step, which means I had to build that overhang over the fireplace to box them in.

I was hoping a friend of mine would send some pictures he did on his Glencroft years ago. OK, I'm an old fart - decades ago. To get a dining area, he put in a partial wall behind the front door with two posts on it. The back of the wall was a bookcase and in front of this bookcase he put a tiny table and two chairs. So he got a tiny entry and dining room out of that space. He also put the side window on the front (he's the one I copied it from) and he also did the bedroom in a very unique way. He put the bed against the bathroom wall like almost everyone does, but he also made a two-shelf whatnot shelf that started against the wall, went around the corner and stopped at the window seat. He also sunk a square of carpet into the bedroom floor and finished around it with brass you can pick up at a model railroad shop. He used the same brass around the edges of the bookcase and fireplace in the living room.

The other thing Lisa did with her Glencroft was bump put the corner downstairs in the kitchen, so now she doesn't have to deal with it. She also pointed the dormer windows on the bathroom roof to match the one in the bedroom. She's really quite creative. Me, I'm just lazy and figured I'll deal with weird corners and windows when I come up against them.