The Glencroft: Dining Room & Kitchen Inspiration

chrisatoledo

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I'll see if Lisa can get some pictures of it. The kit is up at her house because we're working on the dollhouses together there once a week. She wanted a Glencroft for Christmas, so I got her one and her husband got her one. She could have had a mansion, but she decided it would be more fun if we worked on them together.

If you do decide to leave the window in on the side, be aware that parts of the bookcase are there and you'll have to make new sides for your bookcase.

You might be interested in how we did our stairs. If you look at pictures of the Glencroft, you'll see the stairs start about 3 or so steps out in the living room and go into the bedroom a couple of steps. With Lisa's house, I made a couple of turned steps on the staircase. I put two turned steps each on each landing. That pulled them into the wall in the living room and brought them up to the bedroom without having them go inside the bedroom itself. That mean that the overhang in the living room above the fireplace could be eliminated.

stairs.jpg.3403653934de0fe526e9dd7036f33

Here's a better picture of how the stairs are turned on the bottom landing:stairs.jpg.02e15ef0b56d75f1efb70aae9353d:

My stairs only have one turned step on each landing, so they start one step in the living room and protrude into the bedroom by one step, which means I had to build that overhang over the fireplace to box them in.

I was hoping a friend of mine would send some pictures he did on his Glencroft years ago. OK, I'm an old fart - decades ago. To get a dining area, he put in a partial wall behind the front door with two posts on it. The back of the wall was a bookcase and in front of this bookcase he put a tiny table and two chairs. So he got a tiny entry and dining room out of that space. He also put the side window on the front (he's the one I copied it from) and he also did the bedroom in a very unique way. He put the bed against the bathroom wall like almost everyone does, but he also made a two-shelf whatnot shelf that started against the wall, went around the corner and stopped at the window seat. He also sunk a square of carpet into the bedroom floor and finished around it with brass you can pick up at a model railroad shop. He used the same brass around the edges of the bookcase and fireplace in the living room.

The other thing Lisa did with her Glencroft was bump put the corner downstairs in the kitchen, so now she doesn't have to deal with it. She also pointed the dormer windows on the bathroom roof to match the one in the bedroom. She's really quite creative. Me, I'm just lazy and figured I'll deal with weird corners and windows when I come up against them.

@rodentraiser Wow! Those stairs look fantastic! What a great Idea! The livingroom looks so much more spacious!

If you're planning to do something like this, stock up on your patience. There's a reason why my staircase only has one turned step per landing.

Here's a picture that might help you if you decide to attempt what I did:

staircase.jpg.6c94866452648f97ae39727562

There's actually 4 turned steps on this staircase but with the Glencroft, you only need to do 2 on each landing.

• Like 3