The Glencroft: Exterior Inspiration

chrisatoledo

Intro of my project HERE

EXTERIOR
As I mentioned in my intro, I plan on totally customizing the exterior. I will start by adding a portico style porch over the front door to give the house more depth. Then the whole bottom half of the house will have a stone finish.

IMG_5414.JPG  d9964baff66378189e2e93027cca4da2.jpg  IMG_5423.JPG  IMG_9246.JPG  d-39-0004-18_1024x1024.jpg

Photo 1:
I love this house! This house was the initial inspiration behind the stone porch so I plan on replicating it on my Glencroft exactly! I can't wait to see how it will turn out. I also plan on finishing the chimney the same way. Plaster and Stone. 

Photo 2:
I researched for days until I came across this stone stencil by Bromley Craft. I thought it looked extremely realistic and seems like it would work well with the tudor details around the rest of the house.  

Photo 3:
Not sure where I saved this from, But this is going to be my reference when painting the stones to look real. 

Photo 4:
This house is located just a few blocks from me and I love the details of the wood and the plaster.  The textures seem like they will be a lot of fun (or a nightmare) to create in mini.  My plan for this will be to attach all the wood detailing first and then fill in the spaces between the wood with spackle for the plaster.  Ive experimented a few times with this over the weekend using popsicle sticks and so far it seems like it works pretty well. (See below photos)

Photo 5:
For the main living room window, I decided to make one completely from scratch to compliment the stone facade. I liked these medieval/gothic style window casements and decided this heavy stone look with the diamond leaded glass will look great on that specific window.  

IMG_3393.JPG  IMG_2110.JPG

Photo 6 & 7:
For my wood & plaster exterior experiment/test, I cut and glued down the wood, then when dry....I sanded till smooth and went over it with a awl to scratch in the wood beam grain.  For the plaster I painted the space with wood glue first and before it dried completely, I spread and smoothed the spackle as much as possible into the space. When completely dry, I used a moist rag instead of sandpaper and smoothed the spackle even more while simultaneously cleaning out the spackle from the tiny cracks in the wood.  For my actual build, I plan on pre-finishing the wood trim before adding in the spackle so it doesn't stick AS MUCH to the wood and will be easier to clean off.  The overall finished look seemed a bit more "Rustic" than what I want so we'll see how I refine this process. 

My Kit arrives tomorrow so I cant wait to start my Gallery/Blog! 

Thanks for reading guys! xx

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

You only need five posts to start an album' to make a blog you will need 50 posts.

Thank you for being so informative! Ive never posted on a forum or blog before so I have a lot to learn. (Im a bad example of a millennial) :dunce:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Welcome, Chris. And you've already cost me a ton of money. LOL I went through the link you posted for Bromley Craft and I see a lot of stuff I want that isn't offered here in the US. Ah, well..........

Hi rodentraiserI placed an order with them just fine and I live here in California.

But yes, they definitely have some aaaamazing things! 

Hey Chris, welcome.

You've got lots of great ideas & you are inspiring us all !

I like your attention to detail & I like the look of the wood & plaster exterior experiment/test...

more please...  eat%20popcorn.gif  

Have you checked out Jeremy's [pdlnpeabody] Tutor?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Hey Chris, welcome.

You've got lots of great ideas & you are inspiring us all !

I like your attention to detail & I like the look of the wood & plaster exterior experiment/test...

more please...  eat%20popcorn.gif  

Have you checked out Jeremy's [pdlnpeabody] Tutor?

Thank you so much mesp2k! Can't wait to start posting some progress shots! And thanks for sharing! Im speechless with how amazing that Tudor is! WOW! 

Edited by chrisatoledo
  • Like 1

I can't find the US dealer I got mine from but the shipping was about the same. I just checked and the shipping isn't too bad. In total about $15 for the stencil.  I think I paid $12. Don't buy their clay powder. Just use paperclay from Michaels or HL and water it down and mash it and stir for a while into a pancake batter consistently. You can store any excess in a jar for a very long time. Mine is two years old and still good. You can use the solid  paperclay for tons of other things.

• Like 1

Here is a US seller of Magic Stone but I'm not sure if the stencil is Mylar or paper. Bromley' system uses a Mylar stencil which can be used over and over after a good cleaning.  You need a temporary spray adhesive to attach the stecil. It can get goopy if you don't clean it real well.  

http://earthntree.com/miniatures/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_960_962&products_id=29304

• Like 1

On 7/17/2016, 9:34:06, rodentraiser said:

Welcome, Chris. And you've already cost me a ton of money. LOL I went through the link you posted for Bromley Craft and I see a lot of stuff I want that isn't offered here in the US. Ah, well..........

I know what you mean!  I have been perusing their site as well.  I think I might need to get myself a second job...

Another alternative is using Egg Carton paper for stone. You will be amazed at how authentic these stones look. Type "egg carton" into the search bar and you will see what I mean. In my opinion, it gives more dimension than the stencils.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Chris, Mike and Holly!  You're too kind.

When I was designing my Tudor, I was stumped on how to make the entrance stand out, until my wife found a photo online.  It isn't quite as deep as yours, but very similar.  Ron's is an amazing shop and I'm glad I only live about 2 hours from it.  They're always very helpful with finding anything you might need.

Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing your house take shape.

• 8 months later...
17 minutes ago, Cellocori said:

I'd like to buy some of the bromley powder, can anyone please help

me get in contact with Dawn? 

Thanks so much

If you can't find her. Purchase Paperclay (it must be Paperclay) from Michaels or HL. In a small jar add broken pieces of the Paperclay to an equal amount of warm water. Stir for a long time till you have a frosting consistency. Add more water or clay if necessary. Cap the jar and it will last for years. Mine is about 3 years now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sable said:

If you can't find her. Purchase Paperclay (it must be Paperclay) from Michaels or HL. In a small jar add broken pieces of the Paperclay to an equal amount of warm water. Stir for a long time till you have a frosting consistency. Add more water or clay if necessary. Cap the jar and it will last for years. Mine is about 3 years now.

Thanks for the idea! I'm trying to build the dollhouse from the French book The big book of a miniature house. In it, she uses "filler" to coat the walls. I'm guessing it's the brick medium used without a stencil. Do you know if the paper clay would give the same effect?