2016 Creating Contest

dwcole7

Hello, I have been gone for WAY TOO LONG! Many reasons, but I would like to get back into minis and seen that the HBS creating contest in going on again. I have an idea but...there was someone that actually did the same similar idea years ago. Should I keep thinking, should I go for it anyway, if you were starting this late what would you do in this situation? Thank you!!!

Since technically there isn't anything new under the sun so just grab what makes your heart sing. It will build itself if you love what you're doing but it will fight you every step of the way if you try to make it into something you don't love or have a vision for. Your idea will still be your own!

36 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Since technically there isn't anything new under the sun so just grab what makes your heart sing. It will build itself if you love what you're doing but it will fight you every step of the way if you try to make it into something you don't love or have a vision for. Your idea will still be your own!

Selkie, I am working on a vision based on the supplies I have on hand for my Primrose. I have columns, correlated cardboard, gray paint. Problem is my vision is starting to look very similar to someone else's Primrose's exterior. Although I feel it's what my house wants, I'm concerned that it looks too similar to hers.  This was not intentional. How do we handle a situation like this? 

On 7/17/2016, 9:57:44, Sable said:

Selkie, I am working on a vision based on the supplies I have on hand for my Primrose. I have columns, correlated cardboard, gray paint. Problem is my vision is starting to look very similar to someone else's Primrose's exterior. Although I feel it's what my house wants, I'm concerned that it looks too similar to hers.  This was not intentional. How do we handle a situation like this? 

1) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 2) I haven't heard of copyrighting dollhouse kit finishes/bashes. That said, what you're doing is your creation and will differ in some ways from the inspiration house. So do what the house is telling you. Maybe one of its ancestors was a tract home and it has a speck of identical/replicate on its DNA helix. :D 

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

1) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. 2) I haven't heard of copyrighting dollhouse kit finishes/bashes. That said, what you're doing is your creation and will differ in some ways from the inspiration house. So do what the house is telling you. Maybe one of its ancestors was a tract home and it has a speck of identical/replicate on its DNA helix. :D 

I actually wrote to CinderellaMoments and she graciously gave me permission to use her inspiration. I feel better about it now. 

• Like 1