need suggestions for my Nuthouse

grazhina

I'm making my Nuthouse more 5 year old friendly for my granddaughter. The set of ladderlike steps to the top floor were always apt to fall if jiggled, so I decided to turn them into a single flight of stairs. I taped them together as a mockup for what the stairs will look like after they've been redone. I have an open area now, because I took her bed from the main room. She'll use the bedroom on the upper floor. 

I'm not sure what to add to her main room, nothing's jumping out at me. At one point I thought maybe I should add a little sink and stove, but Miss Nutkin's a squirrell. She eats nuts, acorns and berries. She doesn't need to cook, maybe brew up a pot of  marigold tea or something, so all she needs is the little black stove. What piece of furniture should I add to fill the space? Another cabinet? a bench? a worktable? I just can't see it clearly enough to make it.

IMG_1884.JPG

What about some sort of "nesting" chair, sort of like a pod hanging from the ceiling, perhaps crocheted to smuggla up in? I think I would lime to see a sink thoug, one needs to have Water to play around with atleast. Perhaps a but storögt bin, sort of an automateld one? Fill from the top and they come out at the bottom, kind of like an ice machine Idea? 

A but planter, with a tiny sprout in it? 

Hugs

They are nut hoarders, so I'd recommend cabinets, baskets, bowls, shelves, dressers, and/or chests...anything that can hold/overflow with nuts. And then of course, I'd add real acorns. Lots of them. Even under the bed. With the acorn caps as bowls/cups, too. Nutshells as vases and planters and cups, too. And framed Nut Art, too! Wheeee! Have fun!

These are pics from a favorite childhood book - Miss Suzy. She gets chased from her tree home (by mean squirrels) and takes up residence in an old dollhouse...

118703cf3912d7f5cc4290055a5cfb3c.jpg56edcc6ea99c9b3faeae08a10109d6dc.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I actually have lots of little accessories I can use, I just needed to fill in some space with another furniture piece. I've got to make the thing, you see. The house isn't 1" scale, it's squirrel scale. The dining table in the foreground is made from a 1" scale coffee table. I'd cut the 2 wooden chairs down to fit.

Jenn, I made the flowered chair. I glued some little blocks of wood together, then covered the chair with Paperclay, sanded smooth, then I painted it.

I've been busy running amuck all day, but I checked now and then to see if anyone had something to say. I kept seeing my photo and something gelled in my mind. I just couldn't see it when I looked at the house in person. Sometimes we can see something in a photo we don't notice otherwise.Anyway, I now have an idea, and since I got all my chores done today, I'll be able to start work on it tomorrow.

• Like 1

For a five-year-old, I wouldn't add any more furniture other than maybe a small sink. She'll be moving what's there around to suit herself, anyway. Don't be surprised if the bed ends up back downstairs. And speaking of stairs, odds are she wouldn't notice if there are none at all. A vine painted on the wall would be adequate for a squirrel to use. And don't be surprised when she demands to know where the bathroom is. :D

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

For a five-year-old, I wouldn't add any more furniture other than maybe a small sink. She'll be moving what's there around to suit herself, anyway. Don't be surprised if the bed ends up back downstairs. And speaking of stairs, odds are she wouldn't notice if there are none at all. A vine painted on the wall would be adequate for a squirrel to use. And don't be surprised when she demands to know where the bathroom is. :D

Kathie, the first dollhouse I built was a Heritage for my then 10 year old daughter. I'd ordered it from a catalog and didn't see the room layout till the box arrived. The girl needs a proper space for the kitchen and bathroom, I said to myself, so I decided to add on a wing. That's when I found out that for me, building the wing was easier than putting together the dollhouse. The dollhouse I had as a little girl had no interior walls. I used to arrange my furniture along imaginary walls, but I kept pining for real ones. An older girl I knew had a dollhouse with 2 stories and a bathroom with a seat that lifted up. I thought it was the most amazing, wonderful thing I had ever seen. I was 4 or 5 at the time and my dollhouse toilet was just one piece.:eek:

• Like 1

My then 5-yr-old granddaughter's first comment when she opened her dollhouse was, "Where's the bathroom?" I mailed a bathroom set to her, but her mom never bothered to share any photos of how she managed to fit it in. I'd have liked to see that. 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=13695

I've had it with the gallery. I thought it might be simpler to put all the new pictures in there with notes, but somehow I put them in, they vanished, I tried again, they're now ALL there and I can't find how to finish adding descriptive notes to the last 2 or how to delete the duplicates. I saw the option to hide them, but then was told I don't have permission. I find that making my creations is relaxing and rewarding, but posting pictures and writing about them is a pain. Doesn't matter if it's here or face book, I find it aggravating and time sucking. Maybe I'll just stick to posting all my pics etc on my blog page, which reminds me, I still need to do that. And another thing - I felt like changing he look of my blog, it's been the same for 5 or 6 years now, but blogger tells me I can't do what I used to be able to do, and in mobile it looks like crappola, doesn't seem to matter what I try to do to update the page look.

PSSsshhshshshhs ------ that's the steam venting. I think I'll do my 15 minute post meal walk now. Should have done it  30 minutes ago but I was fooling with the gallery page.

46 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I've had it with the gallery. I thought it might be simpler to put all the new pictures in there with notes, but somehow I put them in, they vanished, I tried again, they're now ALL there and I can't find how to finish adding descriptive notes to the last 2 or how to delete the duplicates. I saw the option to hide them, but then was told I don't have permission. I find that making my creations is relaxing and rewarding, but posting pictures and writing about them is a pain. Doesn't matter if it's here or face book, I find it aggravating and time sucking. Maybe I'll just stick to posting all my pics etc on my blog page, which reminds me, I still need to do that. And another thing - I felt like changing he look of my blog, it's been the same for 5 or 6 years now, but blogger tells me I can't do what I used to be able to do, and in mobile it looks like crappola, doesn't seem to matter what I try to do to update the page look.

PSSsshhshshshhs ------ that's the steam venting. I think I'll do my 15 minute post meal walk now. Should have done it  30 minutes ago but I was fooling with the gallery page.

You can edit a single image.......select the image and on the left hit 'Manage Image' you should get two options 'Hide' and 'Edit'

For a while now I've been loading a group of images without comments.....once loaded I go to edit on each image and add whatever comments i want........not ideal but it's a workaround!