1978 washington

Marian

Has anyone bought any older homes to build? I found a 1978 Washington on eBay. She says its in the original box and all pieces are there. Should I give it a try and then buy and work on the Lily once I get this done?

image.jpeg

Edited by Marian

It depends on how the house was stored. I was given a Washington once that literally delaminated while I was working on it. In the end I tossed it because all that was holding it together was the paint.

Then there's the Glencrofts. I got one for Lisa for Christmas (an older house) and Lisa's husband also bought her one (we need to coordinate this year). The kit Lisa got from her husband was brand new ordered from Greenleaf, and we think in some places the wood isn't what it should be. But my older kit is just fine.

So I guess it's a toss up, either way.

Ask yourself if you're able to afford to lose the amount of money you're going to spend on getting the kit. If the answer is no, then pass. If you can live with losing that money, go for it.

• Like 1

I see a lot of red flags here. One major drawback to a kit that old is that you don't know how it has been stored over the years. Was is in an uninsulated attic and subjected to extremes of heat and cold? The wood may be dried out, brittle and difficult to work with. Was it in a damp basement? Was it stored on edge instead of flat? The wood may be warped. Also, how well does the seller know dollhouse kits? I once bought a kit described as having all the pieces, but turned out the "pieces" were the sheets the house parts were once a part of. The pieces of the house were gone!

Are you thinking to build the Washington as a practice house before building the Lily? If that's the case, why don't you take a 40% off coupon to Hobby Lobby and get an Orchid, also much less complicated than the Lily? (Assuming there's a Hobby Lobby near you.)

I didn't realize there were two posts for this subject and responded in the other one. My advice was to take a pass. With a 38-year-old kit, you can't know what shape the wood is in. My advice is to get an Orchid from Hobby Lobby with a 40%-off coupon if you want to experiment with a less complicated build before tackling the Lily.

• Like 1

Given a choice I would pass up the Washington for a Laurel, or else, as others have suggested, an Orchid.  If the Lily is calling your name, there is a team building blog and all of us to help you.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I passed  on the Washington. Is the Washington not made anymore?  I'm now looking at the Arthur and Orchid. Off to check the Laurel out. This is like a kid in the candy shop. I'm loving looking at all these kits.

Edited by Marian

And I'm going to disagree with all of them. I built the older Washington with no problems whatsoever. Think I bought it off ebay. It was an easy build and I loved every minute of it. I'll see if I can find some pix and set up an album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPCullen said:

OK, somebody's gonna have to tell me how to get to my gallery and how to add pix into it...

Click on the dropdown list by your name, upper right of frame. Click on Profile. Click the Albums tab. There they are. Follow prompts to add a new album.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KathieB said:

I didn't realize there were two posts for this subject and responded in the other one.

I moved your reply to the other thread into this one.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I found another Washington...the 2.0 and I purchased it! It's already shipped and on its way! I can't wait! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. My heart was just set on this model.

2 hours ago, Marian said:

Thank you everyone. I found another Washington...the 2.0 and I purchased it! It's already shipped and on its way! I can't wait! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. My heart was just set on this model.

I made working doors and windows for minehttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7565

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016, 2:05:00, KathieB said:

Click on the dropdown list by your name, upper right of frame. Click on Profile. Click the Albums tab. There they are. Follow prompts to add a new album.

Tried that. Last time I found where to make a new album but the pix wouldn't load. This time there are no prompts to create a new album....