Help - uneven floor fix 100 year old house

Ffffi

Help. I'm a newbie doing my first house which is a restoration of a 100 year old house. The last person to work on it stuck Lino down with superglue in one of the rooms and I can get more than 3/4 out. Now I'm stuck with uneven floors ie some bits have Lino and some don't. I don't know what to do. I'm contemplating using floor leveller from the hardware store but was hoping there might be some other expert tips. Any advice? 

You might try leveling the floor with Spackle or joint compound/wallboard putty. You can get it in small amounts. No point in getting a large container of floor leveler for a mini floor. :) 

Have you tried using an acetone-based nail polish remover to soften the remaining super glue?

Hi and welcome.......If all else fails and you can't even it up you could make a card template, put your desired finish (Wood, tiles whatever) onto the template and cover over the floor!

I use 'false' flooring quite a lot partly because beneath the floor is such a great place to run electrics!

I would go for some sort of wood-friendly solvent and the aforementioned hammer & putty knife to remove the remaining linoleum; clean it us and sand the bejeezis out of it.  If it's still not level, spackle or drywall mud  and the aforementioned template will do.  The linoleum has pretty much trashed its antique value.

Thanks for the advice. I tried using vinegar and a paint scrapper. Really made no difference. I will try the nail polish remover. I don't want to do any harm to the structure of the house so was trying to avoid harsh chemicals. i was starting to think about a false floor too. What do you use? I will be sticking floorboards to it.

I'm not worried about antique value. This house was built by my great great grandfather and has been played with by many generations. I want to be respectful in restoring it for my daughter to play with. Plus I'm having a lot of fun planning it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ffffi said:

Thanks for the advice. I tried using vinegar and a paint scrapper. Really made no difference. I will try the nail polish remover. I don't want to do any harm to the structure of the house so was trying to avoid harsh chemicals. i was starting to think about a false floor too. What do you use? I will be sticking floorboards to it.

I'm not worried about antique value. This house was built by my great great grandfather and has been played with by many generations. I want to be respectful in restoring it for my daughter to play with. Plus I'm having a lot of fun planning it.

Vinegar is such low acidity i doubt it did anything but make you crave a good vinaigrette! I would try heat before chemicals, especially because of the asbestos danger and also because of the paint-stripping qualities of acetone- There is certainly lead in any paint on that house!

Thanks. I tried heat as well. It didn't do a lot. The most recent Lino, carpet and wallpaper was done 40 years ago so could be contact cement.  I've stripped everything back to the wood with the exception of the Lino so no issue with acetone damaging paint. 

Kathie is right - Acetone is about the only thing that softens superglue. 

Depending on the thickness of the wood underneath, you might consider moistening the wood and then use the acetone. That combination should do it.

7 hours ago, Ffffi said:

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I tried acetone last night but still no joy. I'm going to go ahead and create a false floor

The acetone should have done the trick. It's possible that the culprit is not superglue. I think you're wise to create a false floor. 

• Like 1