Stucco application

Beulah

Oops, you know I use spackle, I spread it all over the wall after the flat primer is dry.  I finally invested in a set of different width plastic putty knives just for spreading spackle.  To keep the spackle (or joint compound if that's what works) fresh, follow KathieB's suggestion and lay a film of plastic wrap over the surface before pounding the lid back on.  Some folks have had stucco success mixing sand into the paint; perhaps that will work for you.  Some members use single ply facial tissue or toilet paper, glue & paint.

• Like 2

so you put it on with plastic putty knives, ok that is what I could not figure out.  Do you just spread it straight, or swirl it, I wish I could see close ups somewhere, I am so visual lol.  Thanks so much Holly 

I use real life Stucco Patch from Home Depot.  You can buy a small tub of it for a reasonable price.  I've used it on two builds and love the results.  It dries off white, but you can easily paint it.  I applied it with a small putty knife from the dollar store.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=83249

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=95449

I spread it on, then gently tapped it with a small piece of damp sponge to raise the little points of real stucco. Other textures can be obtained in other ways.

If you only need a small amount this is great, it has an amazing texture. You can vary how thick/thin you want it too by how much water and glue you add. I used it smooth and rough, to smooth it I just used a bondo spreader and I used a small trowel to texture it.

Joanne, for stucco I spread the spackle on about 1/8" thick, more or less, then I tap all over the wet spackle with the flat of the putty knife to raise little points.  Then I lightly rag the edge of the putty knife lightly across the surface, either in one direction or in swirls, depending on the look I want:

large.56d58de6aad78_rightsideoutinterior

This is what the joint compound/wallboard mud stucco on my Orchid looks like after gently tapping with a damp sponge to bring up the little points. It is painted with interior latex house paint. It is what the stucco looked like on the house I grew up in. :) The stones are made of the same material. I drew the lines between the stones with a toothpick and applied washes of diluted craft paints when it hardened. 

Stucco and stone from  joint compound

• Like 1

I use the paint texture additive from Lowes. I add it to white interior house paint in a mason jar. (keeps it sealed when not in use). Paint on house, let dry, then paint with color I want, or leave white. Depending on my mood. It can be heavy or light depending on the house.

Great info. Just started using stucco myself. It is wonderful. Great for ceilings and any fixes.

Like previous mentioned , pactice some on spare wood. I am going to experiment some myself.

Hopefully you are not like me and get it everywhere. Lol