Shingles (Storybook Cottage)

debbru

Debbie, you can order another acetate window sheet directly from Greenleaf:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/about-us/greenleaf_dollhouse.html or you can cut new ones from transparency sheets or di what I did when I made all new working windows for the Washington 2.0 farmhouse and cut new windows from clear plastic packaging

The Arthur also has that roof trim, nd is the only house I ever installed that trim on, because I was building it for the very first-ever building team blog here.  I shingled the roof first, leaving room along the ridge line for that loopy looking trim, and glued the finials over the shingles.

4 hours ago, Sable said:

I thought your question was how to butt the front left roof and right roof shingles to meet each other at the top. Maybe I'm not understanding your question. 

I think she was planning to glue the finial to the bare roof and then shingle around that.  When I built the Arthur for the first-ever building team blog I put all the gingerbread trim on it, despite my  personal druthers, and it just occurred to me to go ahead and install the shingles first.  Because the Arthur had the same loopy-do roof peak trim, I glued that into the "gutter" formed by the tops of the last row of shingles on each roof half, and then I glued the finials onto the roof over the shingles at the ends of the peak trim piece.  I no longer fool with either the peak trim or the finials, since I no longer feel compelled to make the kit exactly as pictured on the box (although one of these days I may get a kit that insists it wants them...).

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I think she was planning to glue the finial to the bare roof and then shingle around that.  When I built the Arthur for the first-ever building team blog I put all the gingerbread trim on it, despite my  personal druthers, and it just occurred to me to go ahead and install the shingles first.  Because the Arthur had the same loopy-do roof peak trim, I glued that into the "gutter" formed by the tops of the last row of shingles on each roof half, and then I glued the finials onto the roof over the shingles at the ends of the peak trim piece.  I no longer fool with either the peak trim or the finials, since I no longer feel compelled to make the kit exactly as pictured on the box (although one of these days I may get a kit that insists it wants them...).

I added the finials to both of my Orchids after the shingles too.

11 hours ago, Sable said:

I thought your question was how to butt the front left roof and right roof shingles to meet each other at the top. Maybe I'm not understanding your question. 

Sorry your not understanding my question, when I butt the front left shingle & the right roof shingle to meet each other, there is a gap between the Shingles & the actual roof. What do you suggest I should do about this? Let me know if you still don't understand & I will take a picture of what I mean

11 hours ago, Sable said:

Debbie, if you are referring to the ridgeline at the ape where the two pieces of the roof meet to form the peak, I glued the long piece of decorative trim along the gap between the top edge of the top row of shingle along each roof piece.  Then I glued the finials across the shingles butted up to the ends of the long peak trim.

39 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Debbie, if you are referring to the ridgeline at the ape where the two pieces of the roof meet to form the peak, I glued the long piece of decorative trim along the gap between the top edge of the top row of shingle along each roof piece.  Then I glued the finials across the shingles butted up to the ends of the long peak trim.

Thank yolu, I understand what your saying but I'm talking about in front of the finials

If you have glued the finials onto the roof before shingling, you have two choices; either piece your shingles around the finials, or else carefully remove the finials, finish shingling, and then glue the finials on over the shingles.

If the finials are attached and you used full length shingles under it then you will have a problem with the front. My suggestion is to put half shingles over the front ones so that they will butt up at the peak.  See in my pic how one overlaps the other at the peak?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If you have glued the finials onto the roof before shingling, you have two choices; either piece your shingles around the finials, or else carefully remove the finials, finish shingling, and then glue the finials on over the shingles.

Thank you for your help, I'm constructing the 'storybook cottage' & the finials are back from the peak of the roof

3 hours ago, debbru said:

Thank you for your help, I'm constructing the 'storybook cottage' & the finials are back from the peak of the roof

I understand what the problem is but I guess I'm not making my point clear enough. Hopefully, someone else can help.

On 29/10/2016, 3:11:39, Sable said:

If the finials are attached and you used full length shingles under it then you will have a problem with the front. My suggestion is to put half shingles over the front ones so that they will butt up at the peak.  See in my pic how one overlaps the other at the peak?

image.jpeg

Thank you, the picture really helps 

On 29/10/2016, 3:11:39, Sable said:

image.jpeg

Can you tell me how wide did you do the half shingles