Deluxe Dollhouse Tool Set

Marian

I hardly ever use a craft knife, I really love my utility knife (not least the fact that when I'm not actively cutting something I can retract the blade to prevent slicing body parts); I prefer cork-backed steel rulers from the hardware store because they are less likely to slip/ move whilst I'm cutting along them; I found a lovely little pin vise in Wal Mart's craft section for about USD$5, and I can buy a tubeful of lovely plastic clamps from Harbor Freight, plus some bar camps big enough to use on the whole house.  For holding small items whilst the glue dries I think Id spend the money for Micro-Mark's magnetic gluing jig & extra magnets (which I did):  http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=magnetic+gluing+jig%2c+10-1%2f4+inch+square

The mitre box is nice, but it's aluminum and I use tongue blades or scrap wood to protect the bottom.  I quickly got tired of the Xacto saw blade coming out of the handle/ having to tighten it ever pass and I bought a flush-cut saw and a draw saw from the hardware store to use with it. It depends on how many houses you see yourself building; We already had several items (like the rulers and the utility knife) when I got started and thought I'd only ever build one kit...

• Like 2

I have a few of the blue clamps. Never have gotten them to grip the way I want them to. I'd skip the set and get individual tools that are comfortable for you.

• Like 3

I got mine free with credit card points.  As mentioned above the saw is aluminum and will bend at the handle. The Xacto blade comes loose and can be dangerous. The clamps don't tighten well enough.  I'd pass and buy quality individual tools. 

• Like 3

I agree with Holly & Kathie - definitely buy separately.  :) You'd be paying for cheap stuff you'll never use, IMHO.

Get what you need as you need it & go to Dollar stores, Walmart, Ebay, etc.

• Like 2

My favorite tools where the ones I 'borrowed' from my son while he was away at school.  He had expensive gaming tools from Citadel. The saw was the best, but they don't make it anymore. I found that out after I realized I had completely worn it out and needed to replace it before he returned home. I abused that saw so badly.

• Like 1

Putting together somethings I will need...

Stanley utility knife

1-2 rolls of painters tape

80-160 grit sandpaper

sanding block

emery boards

Carpenters wood glue...but which one?

titebond or titebond for bare wood

Aliens tacky glue for Windows and doors

Paint brushes 1" for walls and roof

artist brushes for trim

anything else I need to add?

:cheezy::cheezy::cheezy::cheezy:Putting together somethings I will need...

Stanley utility knife

80-160 grit sandpaper

sanding block

emery boards

artist brushes for trim

Stanley utility knife

80-160 grit sandpaper

sanding block

emery boards

artist brushes for trim

Stanley utility knife

80-160 grit sandpaper

sanding block

emery boards

titebond for bare wood

artist brushes for trim

Edited by Marian

43 minutes ago, Marian said:

...anything else I need to add?

Maybe PM a mod to remove all the duplicate posts...

Don't forget extra blades for the utility knife and wash out the next jelly jar & lid you empty, to put your used blades in before throwing them away.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marian said:

I'm not sure how I duplicated those posts. I did contact a mod about removal.

It probably wasn't anything you did. The program seems to assert itself periodically. :D 

• Like 1

You shouldn't need 80 grit sandpaper for mini work. Sticking with the 120-220 grit will take care of most jobs -and you'll want the finer grit for finish sanding.  Buy a good quality paper...the "value packs" you find at Walmart and the dollar store are poor quality, and you'll end up spending more because the sheets don't last very long.

I find that those inexpensive multi-packs of craft paintbrushes that you find at Walmart are a treasure. Usually made by Plaid or one of the other craft paint companies. For around $5, you get an assortment of sizes and bristles that will be fine for most mini jobs. For larger surface areas, look into the Wooster "Short Cut" brush with chinex bristles. The short handle makes painting in tight places a breeze, the handle is very comfortable, and the chinex bristles are super easy to keep clean. Again, about $5.

Rather than buying a sanding block, can you get some scrap wood from somewhere? Usually the hardware stores that cut wood will give you small scraps for free. A piece of 1x2 or 2x4 works great.

Dollhouses can get very expensive very quickly, so I'm always looking for ways to save!    

• Like 1

I find a small carpenter's square invaluable for, well getting things square, such as walls etc and I love the Irwin or DeWalt mini clamps (Home Depot) as well as a few

larger clamps.  The blue ones pictured above I just found a pain. Wander the tool isle at the Depot and Lowes. ;)