New to this hobby

Hi everyone! 

I am a miniature enthusiast who recently decided to try to build a customized dollhouse. My previous experience with miniatures consisted mostly of metal models, usually very small scale. I also made miniature houses in the past but using stone as the main material, so that was an entirely diferent building process from the traditional dollhouses. I wanted to have a wood dollhouse for a while, but I could never find a finished one to my liking and I thought maybe would be a bit too complicated to make my own. Well, I finally decided to try this year! 

I have choosen the lovelly half scale Fairfield for my first project, and I'm slowly building and customizing it to my taste. I'd say I'm about halfway through this process, have the first two floors almost finished, soon I'll start working on the attic area and I'll leave the outside details for last. I have learned a lot through this process, mostly about crafting with wood, which has been very fullfilling for me. I think I can say I have become a fan :)  

I am hoping to finish my Fairfield within this year, and sometime after that me and my partner would like to begin a 1:12 scale project. We haven't decided on what kit we'll be using yet, but will probably be another Greenleaf/Corona Concepts. So I'm hoping maybe I'll get ideas from other forum members who have more experience with the 1:12 kits. I feel a bit intimidated about trying larger scales, it's a bit out of my confort zone. But I hope it will be easier after I had experience with my first construction, I'm sure I have yet a lot to learn, so I thought it was about time I joined the comunity and forums I have been lurking around for a while. Thanks to a lot of tips in these forums I was able to answear most of my begginer questions, and maybe eventually I can contribute a bit too with my own experience.

~cheers

Ashley

• Like 2

Thank you all very much ^^

I am trying to learn how to use the gallery, thought I would share a bit of my work so far. Today I was working on the bay windows, both of them are now almost finished. The exterior colors will be blue, white and grey. Still a lot left to do, but it's been very exciting and fun :)

12 hours ago, MLI Designs said:

Hi and welcome. I saw your photos and your house and work are very nice

10 hours ago, Dalesq said:

Your Fairfield looks great so far. If this is your fist house you are off to an excellent start!

Thank you all for the kind welcome :)

Yes it is indeed my first project using wood, I did attend architecture university for a couple years, but with a student's budget I used to do all my projects in foam. Luckily I had already most tools needed to work in small scales, and the forums were very helpful to figure out what glues and materials I should use. It's been a wonderful learning experience, and there is so much creativity around ^^ 

4 hours ago, thresadep said:

Wow Ashley! That is impressive. Love it!!

Almost embarrassed to show more of mine. Lol

Please do show more, I think yours is looking lovelly as well! I love to see what people do with their kits! I got plenty of inspiration from seeing other people's work, the beauty of these kits is that every dollhouse has their owners personal touch :) 

Wow- I am in shock! :eek: I never took notice that all of those lovely Fairfield pics I was commenting on were HALF SCALE!  Well, your house is absolutely beautiful - and I think you would have no issues with a 1/12 house.  :)   Having that architectural background is a plus - - perhaps you can give us some hints on how to do those wonderful mouldings!  Anyone that can do a well-executed  mitre cut on cove moulding is a master in my book!  LOL 

25 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Wow- I am in shock! :eek: I never took notice that all of those lovely Fairfield pics I was commenting on were HALF SCALE!  Well, your house is absolutely beautiful - and I think you would have no issues with a 1/12 house.  :)   Having that architectural background is a plus - - perhaps you can give us some hints on how to do those wonderful mouldings!  Anyone that can do a well-executed  mitre cut on cove moulding is a master in my book!  LOL 

Hehe, thank you! I'm used to working with small bits that I can hold in my hands, one of my fears with larger scales is that my mistakes will be a lot harder to fix and more visible xD But hopefully after all I've learned I'll be ready.

Sure if you have any questions about a particular moulding I'd be happy to explain how I made them, but essentially I got wood dollhouse trims in several sizes and shapes (some even 1:12 scale), cut and assemble them (or mix diferent ones together), then paint over with color of choice. For a "cast" like effect, gaps or edges I use a mix of gesso and water to make the surfaces look smooth. This material can be layered and sanded, just make sure to let each coat dry really well and is very easy to use.

• Like 1