a mini rescued from the garbage

shamrockgirl18

When I lived in Maryland, I frequented the weekly auction at Crumpton. I did purchase a few things over the years, but mostly I was a picker.

I'd wait until the lots were sold, and the winners had taken everything they wanted, and then I would walk through the fields where the auction was held, and find the things that were abandoned before they were picked up for disposal. I found tons of cool stuff by doing this: furniture, vintage toys, antique photographs, beautiful paintings and prints and sometimes just cool things, like a steel penny or an old map of the Magic Kingdom.

I was visiting my old stomping grounds, so I made a point to go to the auction and see what leftover goodies I could pick up. I almost stepped on this, but I'm glad I didn't. It was kind of crushed but when I straightened it out, I saw that it's a miniature Chinese (I think) lantern.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I am so happy I found it- a pretty unique mini find, and for free!

Don't you love when the mini gods smile on you? :cucumber:

chinese.jpg

• Like 4

Good find! Those fields sound like a lot of fun to search for treasures!

(I have the same lantern. I bought mine for my Sindy doll, about thirty five years ago from a Chinese import shop in Australia!)

• Like 1

I found a boxful of those lanterns ('Christmas ornaments, I think) in a thrift store (naturally!) ad brought them home with me.  I had planned to use them with the Pierce...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I found a boxful of those lanterns ('Christmas ornaments, I think) in a thrift store (naturally!) ad brought them home with me.  I had planned to use them with the Pierce...

Christmas ornaments- that makes sense. I was wondering what its actual use/purpose was.

1 hour ago, KoalaSam said:

Good find! Those fields sound like a lot of fun to search for treasures!

(I have the same lantern. I bought mine for my Sindy doll, about thirty five years ago from a Chinese import shop in Australia!)

Those fields are amazing- so many things in my home were salvaged from those forgotten auction lots (i was careful to make sure I was only taking left behind things- and not stealing someone's purchases!)

Ever since I read, and watched, Memoirs of a Geisha, I've thought that a min i Geisha house would be really beautiful, but I think that project would be a long way off. Still fun to think about though.