thrift store fate

shamrockgirl18

I just posted yesterday about the little Asian lantern that I found crumpled on the ground at a flea market. I said it would be nice to do a Memoirs of a Geisha dh someday but that it'd have to be a long time in the future because I have alot of other projects going.

I said that.

I said that, and I did mean it.

But today I went to a Savers thrift store, and look what I found!

She was attached to a plastic platform, but that didn't look very comfortable, so I freed her. 

And now she's demanding a home!

I've told her it's a long way off, but there's no harm in looking, right?

Just out of curiosity, have any of you done an Asian themed dh before?

geisha.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2016, 8:58:52, minilover62 said:

Hi Erin, our friend Kathi is building a beautiful Japanese Ryokan dollhouse, you will find on her album and postings lots of inspirations! I also have in schedule someday building an Asian theme dollhouse. 

Wow that is beautiful! I cannot imagine her patience to assemble all those tiny pieces together.

I've been looking around online, and I don't see any Asian architecture dh's that are both affordable and the right scale, so I started thinking about the scenes I've made using Nativity stables. 

I think if I found a Nativity stable that's modern looking, I might be able to make it into a roombox type of dh. Just enough space fr my little geisha to have a bed, and a traditional table-maybe buy some Rement sushi sets for it?

Erin, I bet if you look at books of Japanese or other Asian architecture you would see how beautifully simple their designs are, and whip up something from scratch; especially a room box.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Erin, I bet if you look at books of Japanese or other Asian architecture you would see how beautifully simple their designs are, and whip up something from scratch; especially a room box.

Yeah, I've been thinking about how I could construct one- and I found these transparent tiles todaY  that are very pretty and Asian-inspired so I'll try to post a pic of them soon. I think it'd be pretty if I built the box and managed to put some lights behind those tiles. 

I know this doesnt sound complicated to you experienced builders, but since I dont have any woodworking tools, it would actually require alot of time and money from me

3 hours ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

What would you suggest for the outside walls?

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

...foam core or matboard/ chipboard (reinforced with 2 or 3 layers).

1 hour ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

I'm sorry Holly- I meant to ask if you had any ideas for covering the walls- paint, paper, stone work etc. I wonder if I could find a bamboo placemat or something to cover up the foam core.  ?  .

Once you seal both sides of whatever you build your box from you and cover it with whatever texture appeals to you, based on the pictures of Asian architecture.  Covering the back & sides with bamboo placemats would be a nice touch.  I'd think about using small pieces of bamboo with parchment paper to make shoji screens, and check out Deb's Coventry Cottage bash for how she did some of her furnishings & accessories.

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

I remember reading this book when I was a little girl https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Happiness-Flower-Rumer-Godden/dp/0064409384. I desperately wanted to build Miss Happiness' and Miss Flower's house, as the plans are included in the book. If you're up for a scratch build. :)

I read the comments. One reader said the plans for the house are not included in the newer edition being sold on Amazon.com. If you want the plans, you'll have to look for the original edition.

1 minute ago, KathieB said:

I read the comments. One reader said the plans for the house are not included in the newer edition being sold on Amazon.com. If you want the plans, you'll have to look for the original edition.

Good catch! 

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2016, 8:24:51, kathi17 said:

Hi Erin, I didn't see your post until this morning. (I was away visiting the grandchildren when you first posted it). Anyway, I'm looking at your geisha album now, your roombox looks beautiful!

Thank you! It's come a l;ong way, but I still need to do the landscaping and it needs a roof.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't related to the geisha house I made, but it does relate to thrift store fate-

I posted some time ago about wanting to construct a Winnie the Pooh house since I've seen the movie a bazillion times (thanks to my 22 month old son). I did get the basic structure completed but then I decided to hold off since I didn't have any residents for the house yet. I always like to have my residents before ZI do a scratch build so I'll know an approximate scale to work around.

A couple weeks ago we went to one of the Goodwill Buy the Pound Outlets, and at the bottom of a bin I found a small Pooh plush! He's 3-4 inches tall and my son has been carrying him everywhere. So I think I'm going to get going on the house again and try to get it done for a Christmas present for my son. 

On 10/24/2016, 8:59:25, minilover62 said:

Nice! can't wait to see your Pooh house, I would love to build one someday too! Post pictures of your progress please! we all love an eye candy for inspiration!

I don't have any photos of the house in progress yet, but I just uploaded a pic of the little Pooh Bear.