Article: Dollhouse based on ruined/rotting Detroit Mansions

Elsbeth

The article is written by a dollhouse-muggle...they don't totally get dollhouses as they over-emphasize the "house of horrors" features (of which there are few).

But I liked the photos. I like the repro'd look of vintage grittiness. But the roofline and roof (no shingles) seem a bit basic for a "$5000 house".

Still - I think the bricks and greenery and weathering are all charming. I'm going to try to incorporate some of these features into a 1:48 scale house.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2407273/Not-typical-dolls-house-The-eerie-model-home-inspired-Detroits-ruined-buildings.html

• Like 1

Really like the moss and the weathered look, and I think I know the brand of the greenery bits because I remember seeing those when shopping for prop materials for a warhammer battlefield. It's the same kind used for miniature trainsets, affordable yet nice looking. 

I'm a bit shocked at the price of the house too, looks lovelly but I can tell it's not even electrified and the light fixtures have those individual switches that you'd have to put your hands inside it and turn them all on one by one (I wouldn't bother to do that on a three story house). But I guess I'm a big newb and still have no clue how much dollhouses are worth :eek:

Since I've been selling my art at an artisan market in Dubai for the past year, I have had to add my time (as a salary) to my artworks as well, and not just charge for materials or what I think it would sell for in a store. I have also since realized that most dollhouse builders do not add their time to the value of their houses. If I add my time to my basic little Arthur Santa House, I would have to sell it for a lot more than would appear reasonable to other dollhouse builders - but it would make perfect sense to someone who did not have the time to spend on building/decorating such a house. Jen's house is gorgeous and it must have taken her many hours of hard work. Don't sell yourselves short, all of you put in the time on your various builds and are worthy of a reasonable remuneration for your efforts too. :clap:

• Like 1

yes - the cost not the sell price

the amount of time and materials I spend on my houses, I'm sure I could never recuperate if I tried to sell.  I used hours of my time to make the outside faucet on my bakery, and had several tries to get it right.  So, while the final result is one tiny metal faucet- 2-3 dollars, there's the 2 hours of "labor", and 2-3 dollars in trashed faucet attempts.  And now I know how to make a faucet, and the satisfication/joy of it.

stood up from the table w a smile of job well done, I think 4-6 dollars was worth the enjoyment.  I'd pay more than that to go to a movie

I equate it with other hobbies - gardening is an example, I'm never going to make money at that but I enjoy the process (mostly) and results, my husband plays golf, my daughter knits, etc.

if someone asks me "but what are you doing with it?" I say enjoying the process - and ask about their particular hobby

• Like 2

In another photo I could see the shingles. I really felt like the article did not do her justice as an artist...it kept on talking about the house being scary or "rotting"....when it really isn't that at all to me. It is a lovely house - and I love the vintage vibe!!

Thanks for the reminder about cost vs selling price. 

I have several dollhouses I'd price at million$  for the sentimental joy they bring me and the fact that I will never part with them. But after I am gone, I suspect they will show up at Good Will or Craigslist for a fraction of the worth. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smjsome said:

yes - the cost not the sell price

the amount of time and materials I spend on my houses, I'm sure I could never recuperate if I tried to sell.  

So true, the amount I've spent on extra wood, papper, paint and glues, it probably has added up to a lot so far, not even counting the hours spent on it, but tbh I stoped calcullating such things. Because like you said, I really enjoy the process and it's very fullfilling to be creative on my spare time. The garden comparisson is probably very true for this hobby as well, watching something slowly grow from a few "seeds", I wouldn't be able to put a price tag on it.

5 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

In another photo I could see the shingles. I really felt like the article did not do her justice as an artist...

Yes the photos on the article aren't very flattering. I love her Lily <3 One of my favorite kits and looks so gorgeous with that weathered look