You in 3D

Sable

A member of our club showed me the 3D bust her husband had made for made her. It is done in colored sandstone. I think it was 1/8 scale. I've decided to ask my club if they would be interested in having replicas of themselves in 1/12 scale.  Her husband will take the required pics (for a pound of his favorite coffee as payment) with his 3D camera, send the file to Shapeways who will print them out for only $28 a piece. So we will have our village at the show with our members promptly displayed in front of their houses or in the park or visiting the neighbor. I just hope the club members like this idea.

• Like 3

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have a 1:12 scale 3D printed sandstone dog...it is really pretty and realistic looking - so I will be interesting in seeing how your people turn out.

I did actually order a 3D 1:12 scale person (an awesome Miss Marple) in color sandstone and the design/order failed because of some fragile part that couldn't print out/render in sandstone...so beware of possible difficulties. They refund your money if it doesn't work out.

20 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have a 1:12 scale 3D printed sandstone dog...it is really pretty and realistic looking - so I will be interesting in seeing how your people turn out.

I did actually order a 3D 1:12 scale person (an awesome Miss Marple) in color sandstone and the design/order failed because of some fragile part that couldn't print out/render in sandstone...so beware of possible difficulties. They refund your money if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for that info. I thought about having mine waving my hand. That is probably something they couldn't do. And if it ever fell over, there goes my arm.

29 minutes ago, Sable said:

Thanks for that info. I thought about having mine waving my hand. That is probably something they couldn't do. And if it ever fell over, there goes my arm.

My failed Miss Marple purchase had a delicate space between her body and wrist...sort of a crook in the wrist and lap - and apparently it couldn't be done. I guess keep is as solid as possible. My little dog has no gaps or spaces in his pose, and he is lovely. They are fragile though.

15 hours ago, Sable said:

...I thought about having mine waving my hand. That is probably something they couldn't do. And if it ever fell over, there goes my arm...

Can you have just your head printed in 3D then stick it on a posable doll's body?  That was an odd 21st century question.

Then you can wave if you want... :wave:

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

Hah!  Just finished reading this and then I saw this!   https://www.facebook.com/NYPost/videos/10158067386190206/

The difference between this one is that it is plastic and an artist has to paint the color on, it's more expensive. The one I posted about prints in colored sandstone so it is cheaper and you receive it quicker. Obviously, the plastic will be more durable.

• Like 1

It is a cool idea! Our little dog passed away recently and we fortunately have a 3d file of her which my husband took a few years ago using an app on his phone. We are going to get her made in brass and or ceramic for her grave. It's amazing what you can do these days. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2016, 14:51:37, mesp2k said:

Can you have just your head printed in 3D then stick it on a posable doll's body?  That was an odd 21st century question.

Then you can wave if you want... :wave:

Shapeways has ball jointed doll kits in dollhouse scale, if the heads can be printed in the same material and scale it would be easy to assemble a fully poseable "mini self" :)