Another dollhouse based on a real house

rodentraiser

I know I started another thread on this, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it. So I decided to post this one.

There is a story behind this post.

I was on another forum and we were talking about McMansions. I ended up posting two pictures of dollhouse rooms to prove a point and someone got a wee bit unhappy about it. For some reason, he/she decided to post a few links and a picture of his own. This is the picture he posted:

3xwofU1.jpg.d31551ce757f735ffd6305c7202c

I went, "Hmmm....' knowing I'd seen that house somewhere before (and you know what happens when I think that), so tonight I went looking through my dollhouse catalogs. And I found this:

Picture.jpg.5952c0dedc002b6d220292ac2306

Yup, apparently another dollhouse was built based on a real house. I'd never known that and this was the first time I'd seen the picture of the real house.

So thanks to someone who was unhappy about me posting a pic of a dollhouse and deciding to post a pic of a real house, I found a connection between his real house and a dollhouse. Oh, the irony of life!

And it also goes to show, you never learn anything from people you agree with! roflmao.gif

• Like 1

I had to look up what a "McMansion" is as I had never heard the term before, I suppose this is an American thing? Fascinating! :crazyeyes: I have never seen a house like that around here and I didn't know there was a word for them, now I'm curious to find out more. Here people who crave 'luxury' would try to own multiple houses in expensive locations (even tiny ones), instead of large properties and mansions. 

What dollhouse catalog is that? Wow!

I have a PDX Four-square style house  I bought on craigslist with a little brass plaque on the base (which I cannot read - try as I might) that has something scrawled into it. Can I send you pics and see if it jogs your computer-like memory? Maybe you will recognize it. It opens on 3 sides...meticulously done. Oak floors except fir in kitchen with tiny nailhead marks. Amazing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I have a PDX Four-square style house  I bought on craigslist with a little brass plaque on the base (which I cannot read - try as I might) that has something scrawled into it. Can I send you pics and see if it jogs your computer-like memory? Maybe you will recognize it. It opens on 3 sides...meticulously done. Oak floors except fir in kitchen with tiny nailhead marks. Amazing.

I'd like to see pics. Why don't you start an album? :)

6 hours ago, Mimajo said:

Great.  So....how did "unhappy" respond?

He/she hasn't responded yet, but the mods removed the pic of the dollhouse. I'm surprised they didn't remove my whole post because they're pretty strict there and my post really had nothing to do with the thread.

6 hours ago, amyole said:

What a beautiful house and what a great memory you have to know that there was a dh of the house.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

I had to look up what a "McMansion" is as I had never heard the term before, I suppose this is an American thing? Fascinating! :crazyeyes: I have never seen a house like that around here and I didn't know there was a word for them, now I'm curious to find out more. Here people who crave 'luxury' would try to own multiple houses in expensive locations (even tiny ones), instead of large properties and mansions. 

Here is the article that started the thread at the other forum. It really makes some very good points about McMansions here in the US.

http://mcmansionhell.tumblr.com/post/148605513816/mcmansions-101-what-makes-a-mcmansion-bad

4 hours ago, Debora59 said:

Thanks for posting, I had never seen this doll house before, Thom Hartsock doll houses, I will have to look them up for fun

You're welcome!

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

I don't recognize the house from the photo you posted, but from the looks of it, it could be a house handbuilt by someone. There are a lot of plan books floating around out there and I'm familiar with most of those, but every now and again one shows up that I haven't seen before. So the house could also be from a plan book of some kind. Have you turned it upside down to see if anything is written on the bottom?

You can definitely send me pics - I love seeing old houses and I can add one more to the memory!

The catalogs I have were a bunch of catalogs printed for about 20 years starting in 1978, I believe. They were a compiled list of all the manufacturers of houses and miniatures who cared to be listed at that time. Instead of being a collection of catalogs, like the From Our House to Your House catalog was, these list all the miniature items by group, so you find the houses all grouped together at the front and named by manufacturer (a list of manufacturers and items is in the back). A member here named Blondie, and I haven't seen her here for a while, either - I hope she's OK, found a link where you can purchase the catalogs:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=miniature+catalog

Those prices aren't too bad. In fact, I should probably replace mine, since the pages are falling out and the covers have been lost on a couple.

Anyway, that's the secret to me identifying a lot of the dollhouses.

I remember the miniature version the house.  It is in my Miniature Catalog 5th Edition on page 28.  I have a book The Victorian Home in America by John Maass.  It is the cover picture on the dust jacket and then pictured twice in the book. Unfortunately there are no interior pictures of the home.  The book is a great find if you can get it.  I also have The Gingerbread Age by John Maass.  It is just as great of a find.

2016-08-15_20.12.35.jpg

2016-08-15_20.11.09.jpg

2016-08-15_20.11.56.jpg

• Like 1

That's where I got the picture of the Pink House dollhouse. Unfortunately,between my awful camera and my awful photography, it didn't come out as clear as I hoped. Getting a new camera is sort of down on the list. A car repair this month meant I couldn't pay my cable bill, so next month I will have two of those and I still have to get new glasses. Argh. When I grow up I want to be a billionaire.