Recognize this house?

stickyfingers

It looks huge. The more I look at the pictures, really huge. I have nowhere to put this, but I do love it. I've always liked the Beacon Hill and Alison Jr, but this one is different. Wonder what the other rooms look like? Looks like it has carpet throughout. I will paint it and change the flooring. Can't tell much else from the pics. Wonder if it's electrified, or if those lights are fake?  Maybe redo it to be modern French? All white Christmas house? Oh, the possibilities!

Is this crazy?

I have never bought something like this before. Going to take a Rubbermaid tub and some plastic bags to carry all of the furniture and bits, and bring some old towels and blankets for padding. Anything else I should bring? I mentioned that it looks big, right? Oh my... 

I would say the rubbermaid tote and bags, some towels or blankets for padding, and last but not least your enthusiasm. Even if it's big they'll probably help you load it into your vehicle. Can't wait to see what you do with it, I've been going through my old plans and catalogues and haven't been able to place it... but there's something familiar about it, so I'll keep looking as I can.

I like this house - and you  need to nab the ones that call to you and the ones that are so different. It isn't crazy. I got a spectacular house off craigslist and it only fits through 2 doors in the house. I can't put it where I want to put it, so it lives in a different space. Oh well. I love it and will never part with it. I like tiny tower room...can you get into it? or is it just for show? I love tower rooms. YAY! 

• Like 1

Towels for padding the ceiling of your vehicle, blankets for padding or wrapping corners. If the house is huge and your car small, I'd bring bags instead of rubbermaid tubs...unless the tubs are small. My tubs are always big. I tend to casually bubblewrap and ziploc tiny things and furniture if I pick it up like this. YAY!

• Like 1

That's why I drive an SUV.  Picking up my Joseph Angel and most recently the Tower House was no problem.    When we bought this house a few years back and gutted the interior I had french doors that open up on the front courtyard installed in my workroom in order to get houses in and out easily.  Our last house was two-story and my workroom was upstairs won't do that again.

Gosh, that's a big house...

Tomorrow is the day! The seller says it was built by her father, so maybe she'll have more information. I don't suspect it was a kit, as I don't know of any kits made of 1/4" ply. I did an internet search of plans last night, and didn't find anything similar.

I'm excited, nervous, etc. It's a bit like hidden treasure. No telling what else is in the rooms or what condition the rest of it's in. Will it stink? Is the old carpet and wallpaper Superglued down? Wonder what the rest of the fireplace looks like? I couldn't hardly sleep last night! All of the ideas, plans, etc. Will post pics and an update when I have some news.  

I'm back! Good news and bad...the house was filled with furniture and accessories, including a fabulous Victorian bedroom set, two bathrooms, and the kitchen...got the Roper stove, wringer washer and monitor top fridge!!! That alone was worth what I paid for the house, so I'm super happy about the contents. The seller threw in that little table it was sitting on, too, so there's that.

The house? Well, it was as big as I imagined...about 2' wide, 2' deep and 4' tall. But...it's made of Styrofoam and plastic. Yes, Styrofoam. Yikes! And it is wired, but it's some very scary looking homemade wiring (not standard DH wiring) and I wouldn't dare plug it in. Velveteen fabric firmly glued to the floors and tacky papers on every wall. The exterior "trim", siding and such is all thin molded plastic. Some of the trim is broken/missing, but not so bad that you couldn't fill it in with drywall compound or modeling clay.

Everything is dusty and I think I see mice poo in the carpeting. For now, I think the house will go outside for a good vacuuming and then into the garage. Honestly, I don't know if I want to do anything to the house. On the one hand, it sure is lightweight and easy to move around. If I were to keep it, I would patch the broken pieces, take out all of the wall and floor coverings, remove the molded "stone" and start over. Mask off the shingles, and paint the whole thing white. Add new flooring, and wall coverings made of ?posterboard, matboard, something. Egg carton stones for the foundation and fireplace/chimney. Make it look like a giant French wedding cake.

On the other hand...that's a lot of real estate to take up for a Styrofoam house. Styrofoam!

I'll start an album when I get everything sorted out.      

From the very first photo I thought that the windows looked plastic.....but wow. What a disappointment. Not sure what I would do - it is a cool looking house, but as you said...not sure I would want to invest in a styro house.  :/ 

Even if it were sturdier builder's foam I'm not sure I'd want to fool with it.  If that really is mouse poo you will want to strip out all the fabric and give it a thorough disinfecting (thinking Hanta virus, here).

Can you post a closeup picture of the two doors in the front? I have a hunch they're Timberbrook doors and if so, they haven't been made in a long time. If that's the case,  you may be able to sell them on eBay for maybe $10 to $20 apiece. The windows also look like they're worth keeping if you can get them all off in one piece. You know, styrofoam isn't that bad. Have you seen Mary's Dollhouses? All of her houses are made out of foamcore. It might also be possible to break the walls down and use them as patterns for cutting out wood to recreate the house.

All I can say is, good thing you didn't use the hammer to knock it apart! One good swing and......    LOLOLOL

By the way, if there is mouse poo in there - and this applies to everyone - please wear a mask while cleaning it out and don't just throw the poo out the door. Make sure it goes in a bag and then in a plastic bag and in the garbage. You don't want to run the risk of getting Haanta virus or anything else.

• Like 1

OK, more about the Styrofoam...it's 1/2" thick, dense, and is covered with a layer of what looks like posterboard on both sides. I thought of painting over the wallpaper, but there's tacky wax residue on most every wall. I think the fastest and easiest solution to the walls is to make templates and just cover over them and start fresh, rather than trying to remove the wallpaper.  

The windows- they're integral to the wall siding/trim/shutters. All of it is one molded piece of plastic, so nothing comes off or out. I moved the house and table back out to the garage before I do any other cleaning or fiddling with it. I'll be sure to wear a mask and gloves if I demo it.

I just don't know about this house. It could be really charming-picture it all painted white with a new stone foundation and a distressed roof. Clean, fresh, bright interior with wood floors and chandeliers. I can actually lift the whole house with one hand, which is also kind of cool.

But, wow...that's a lot of work. And it sure is BIG!!

I paid $75 for the whole mess, and I certainly got that in furniture and accessories, plus a neat little table that the house (or any house) will fit on. It was an adventure, and I'm going to have fun with the contents at least for the next few days. I've started cleaning my favorite pieces of furniture, and I washed a bunch of the small kitchen things. A few things need a spot of glue, too.   

It does sound as though it is built from builder's foam or foam core, rather than straight styrofoam, so it ouht to withstand a good scrubbing with disinfectant, which I recommend no matter what sort of poo is in it.

I knew I had seen this house before!  I just had to think, think, think! :closedeyes:

I found it in a copy of The Miniature Magazine, Summer of 1980.  It is called The Yellow Daisy.  It was distributed by Handley House and is built from their mini-board (foam core) with DF (Deep Form) vacuum plastic panels for the exterior siding, stone, shingles, and trim.  I then looked it up in The Miniatures Catalog (5th Edition).  It is on page 30.  It originally cost $136!

2016-08-23_19.17.27.jpg

2016-08-23_19.23.44.jpg

• Like 2