Melissa & Doug Dollhouses

madtex1967

Does anyone know about this brand?  What is the construction?  Are the details printed on the house or is there actual siding, shingles, wallpaper, etc?  

I have found the pink Victorian for only $30 and was wondering if it is worth it to rehab.

Matt, Melissa and Doug made dollhouses for children that are preprinted inside and out. I really don't know what they're made of, but one of our members recently did over one of their houses and did a beautiful job on it. I have the name on the tip of my tongue and I just can't remember exactly who it is, but she posted some pictures just a couple of days ago. It was the house with the built in seats on either side of the front door. I think it's the pink Victorian that she did.

The other thing Melissa and Doug did was to buy House That Jack Built. Now those were/are some very good quality houses and the kits were made out of wood. They're pretty pricy, though. But that's why you may see some of those houses offered for sale by House That Jack Built (older ones still floating around in their boxes) and then you may see the same houses with the name Melissa and Doug on them.

I think $30 for the pink Victorian isn't too bad a deal. When I see them offered new, they're running about $75 to $100. I can't say I think they're worth that much, but that's what I've seen.

I had the pink victorian Melissa and Doug house (scored it for a very cheap price)...it was HEAVY particle board and the roof and windows were plastic. The stairs were wood - stained classic cherry red stain. With a lot of work it can obviously be made to look nice, but I wasn't in the mood to put in all that work, so I sent mine packing. I had originally thought I'd make an arty house and paper over it with italian papers, etc - but the windows were glued in tight and that particle board was unforgiving. And did I mention how heavy it was? I thought it was very heavy.

I love that side-open Christy's cottage. Nice looking house! 

One more thing about the Melissa and Doug house - I really like that roofline from the front with all the gables. But I was disappointed that one of the double windows has a wall inside dividing it. It looks like it isn't to code, LOL.

• Like 1

I thought about getting Christy's Cottage, but when I could find it, the price was way out of my range. I think it may still be on Amazon. Anyway, when I saw the HW front opening Victorian for sale, I decided to turn that into a Christy's Cottage instead. So I did, for about half the price. LOL

Thanks everyone for the information.  I was looking last night at Michelle - MLIDesigns transformation of the house!  I love what she is doing with it.

I think though, I have talked myself out of purchasing the one I saw.  I have too many in the wings now to start.  I am about to finish up the Victoriana and am trying to decide what I want to start next!

18 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Er, Matt, if you want to thin out the herd a little, drop me a PM if you want to sell that Fantasy Island house.

And if you are taking orders Matt, I'll take the 1/2 scale RGT First Lady kit.  I have one of these but I know someone who really wants one  badly,

49 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Er, Matt, if you want to thin out the herd a little, drop me a PM if you want to sell that Fantasy Island house.

28 minutes ago, queenannediva said:

And if you are taking orders Matt, I'll take the 1/2 scale RGT First Lady kit.  I have one of these but I know someone who really wants one  badly,

HA!  I was thinking those two are first on my list to build! :wave:

I knew you would not give up the First Lady that kit is just too rare.  I love mine now that I have it the way I want it.  I raised the ceiling height on the first and second floors to 6".  They were less than 5" which was a little too low for my lighting and the rooms in that house are deep so it also provides better viewing.  I also added a foundation.  Have fun building your kit it is a wonderful house,