Frustrated with this .. feels like a mess

asherah

2 hours ago, asherah said:

Do you think if I sanded it with my sander it would take it down ?

Yes. Lots of dust. Do it outside if possible, and wear a mask so you're not inhaling the dust.

21 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I chipped away at mine with a chisel and then yes, sanding should do it. You may even end up with a subtle texture you like.

Yup that's what I'm doing thanks a lot =) 

13 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

When my Glencroft chimney had to be redone I used a metal putty knife & hammer to help remove the dampened spackle.

Yeh that's what I've been doing but this a huge house and it will take weeks =/ I think it will have to stay. 

You are all so helpful. I actually painted the house a pretty colour and I think it looks better. I need to buy some more trim so I can finish it. Then I'll post a pic and get some opinions.

I am glad to hear things are looking better for you.  When I wanted a cobble stone look, I had to start over twice.  I used a a dremel tool with sanding bit. After a lot of dust and loud noises, it was not perfect in the end but I decided it was good enough to live with it. Lesson I learned : Practice on scrap materials first regardless of how confident I feel. 

I spent hours once doing the inside of a room with wood filler or spackle (can't remember which), trying to make it look like an adobe wall in the library. Then when it dried, I painted it very carefully. The next day I had something I needed to take off on the house and so I gave the house one good rap - and the adobe walls that I had just done in the library the day before very gently slid off and landed on the floor. They practically didn't even break!

Now I stucco with wallpaper.

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I spent hours once doing the inside of a room with wood filler or spackle (can't remember which), trying to make it look like an adobe wall in the library. Then when it dried, I painted it very carefully. The next day I had something I needed to take off on the house and so I gave the house one good rap - and the adobe walls that I had just done in the library the day before very gently slid off and landed on the floor. They practically didn't even break!

Now I stucco with wallpaper.

The interior and exterior upstairs of my pub are all spackled and despite manhandling and a major move it's all intact.