Long strips

Marian

I have a few more questions. What are these long thin strips for? I have read the instructions over and over can't find anything on them. Are these trim for around the inside Windows? Or maybe the wood trim for the inside baseboards? 

When I begin staining the shingles what's the best way? All into a tray and soak with the stain? Or stain them after glued on to the roof? 

Lots of questions this morning. What's the best glue or paste for wallpaper? When you wall paper do you do before you assemble or after? Can I paint some of the inside room walls or is it best to wallpaper all of them?

My first piece of furniture arrive yesterday ! My roper stove for the kitchen. Thank you again...for all your help.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not sure about the strips, but your stove is lovely!

I always use wallpaper mucilage (I get it from HBS) for my paper.

For my Vermont Jr, I used a stain pen to stain the shingles AFTER I applied them to the house. If I ever rehab that house(there are always ways to improve) I'll probably go with asphalt shingles.

As far as which walls to paint or paper, It's your house so do what you'd like. Just be sure to prime the walls with gesso or just house primer or the oils from the wood will leak through and leave marks over time. I use the sample cans of paint from Home Depot to paint my houses with. You can have them mixed into any color you want, the primer is already in it, and it costs about $4!  Also be sure to leave the tabs and slots free and clear so the house goes together smoothly.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marian said:

I have a few more questions. What are these long thin strips for? I have read the instructions over and over can't find anything on them. Are these trim for around the inside Windows? Or maybe the wood trim for the inside baseboards? 

When I begin staining the shingles what's the best way? All into a tray and soak with the stain? Or stain them after glued on to the roof? 

Lots of questions this morning. What's the best glue or paste for wallpaper? When you wall paper do you do before you assemble or after? Can I paint some of the inside room walls or is it best to wallpaper all of them?

My first piece of furniture arrive yesterday ! My roper stove for the kitchen. Thank you again...for all your help.

If you're building a Greenleaf kit those look like siding strips; if Dura-Craft, they could be floorboards. 

Staining shingles:  If they are all in a sheet (like most GL shingles) you can stain them by rubbing on the stain with an old, soft rag.  If they're separate, invest in two disposable aluminum roasting pans.  Poke holes all over the bottom of one of the pans and set it into the other, spread your shingles over the bottom and fill the pan with your stain and swish your shingles around until they are covered with stain.  Lift the upper pan (with the shingles & holes) straight up and let all the stain flow into the bottom pan.  dump out the shingles and spread them over newspaper to dry (you might want to cover the newspaper with waxed paper to keep the shingles from sticking to the newspaper).  I got on a roll shingling the Fairfields and didn't stain them first; I will be going back with paint and try again, but it was nearly impossible to get the brush with stain  under the overlapping rows of shingles, and I have "bald" rows.  On the Laurel I wanted to stain all the shingles with very diluted paint and that's how I found all the lue drips & oozes (stain wont penetrate glue...).

I use premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store for wallcoverings.  One of the primary reasons for doing the dry fit (besides figuring out the instructions) is to see which parts of the dollhouse will have to be decorated before assembly and whish can be accessed as it's being glued together.  Whether you're going to paint or paper the walls you will want to prime them first, to seal them so the natural acids present in all wood won't leach out and "burn" your paint or wallpaper with brow stains over time.  Whether you paint or paper or paint some and paper others, remember the dollhouse will be viewed with all of its rooms visible at once, so you want to give thought to how the colors work together.

• Like 1

Thanks holly for the info. Alot of the shingles have been pulled apart from the sheet. This was a pre owned kit off eBay. It looks like who ever had the kit tried to build but changed their mind. I'll do the roasting pan trick. Do I use the E6000 for the shingles?

Here's my pile of shingles and strips of trim. One thing I noticed is the darker half sheet of shingles at the top of the photo seem to be more flimsy than the pile. Thank you Jackie I'll look for the quick grab. I'll be over 100 by the time I glue these  shingles on.:rofl:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I use regular carpenter's wood glue.  I run a thin bead of glue along the roof edge and another along the line I've drawn for the first row/ course of shingles, and lay my shingles along that.  I run another thin  bead along the very top of the the first row of shingles and another along the line for the next row and I start the second course with a shingle split in half lengthwise and continue on down the row.  After I have laid four or five rows I lay a sheet of waxed paper over them and clamp a piece of scrap wood on top and either start shingling another piece of roof or go work on something else, giving the glue a couple of hours to begin setting up.

• Like 1