Chimney problem (Washington)

Marian

I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully someone who built this house will see it!

FYI I moved the thread into the Question About a Particular House / Greenleaf forum and added (Washington) to your title. This helps others who have seen the Washington find it, and will also help people building this house in the future and run into the same problem find it when they search.

Maybe this will help, she installed the chimney before installing the roof. It should slide up under the roof.  There should also be another chimney section which attaches to the top of the roof. Do not cut the roof.

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2008/08/washington-20-day-5.html?m=1

and 

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2008/08/washington-20-day-7.html?m=1

and

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2008/08/washington-20-day-8.html?m=1

Thanks Jenn!  Green was my moms favorite color. She passed away suddenly when I was 10. I'm still searching for the roof slot. The top of the chimney  only has a single piece in the box. It's missing the two other pieces .:ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm:. I've stuck the bottom part against the house but I'm at a loss for the top part of chimney.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well at least we solved the bottom section's delima. I guess you will have to make the top section out of form core or basswood.  Do you know how to figure out the pitch of the roof to make the angle cuts? If not, take a yard stick and hold it up to the front of the house and trace the roof line onto the yardstick. That will give you the angle for the 2 sides of the chimney top.  

• Like 1

I didn't bother with the chimney, since there would not have been any room to fool with a fireplace inside the house the way it wanted to look.  It  also didn't like those "decorative" tabs at the roof's peak & sides, so off they came!

• Like 1

There should be a slot to help position the chimney. Maybe it didn't get punched out? If the slot is "lost", can you trim off the tab and just glue the chimney to the roof? 

I checked my Washington this morning...the chimney base sits flush with the attic floor and there is a second chimney piece for the roof ( the one you seem to be missing)....and there didn't look like any sort of notch in the roof for its placement...?  Maybe in later versions there was one, but not in this one.

• Like 1

I left the chimney off. I didn't like the entry stairs to the Washington so I made some. I've sanded and primed all the walls inside and pre painted them. I'm kind of nervous about wallpapering. I just can't figure out how you cut the windows out so accurately. I also sanded the inside floors and stained them. 

I bought my second piece of furniture off eBay. A great little sofa. I plan on decorating the house in the 1920's.

image.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Marian said:

...I'm kind of nervous about wallpapering. I just can't figure out how you cut the windows out so accurately...

I don't install any windows until AFTER I've painted & wallpapered and done exterior treatments (masking off wherever I'm going to glue on window trim).  That way I jut install the wallpaper over the entire wall and after it has thoroughly dried I go back with my utility knife nd cut out the window and door openings, then I go around the openings and cut away about 1/8" of the wallpaper around the window and door openings, so that when I glue on the surrounding trims they neatly cover the wallpaper:

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marian said:

Thanks holly. I hope to try wallpapering this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed I can do it. Is it ok to paint a few rooms or is wallpapering best to do?Wow yours looks great.

To paint or wallpaper is purely your choice, just like in your real house. :)  You'll see mini houses with all paint, all wallpaper and a mix of the two -- plus raw or painted brick, wainscoting, paneling and however else real walls are treated.

• Like 1

What Kathie said.  This house only wanted the bedroom all wallpapered, just borders downstairs.  My pub is all stucco walls except the bathroom.  Listen to what the house tells you it wants, and it will look good.  My Magnolia wanted to be a Florida Cracker's house, so all the interior beadboard walls are painted, not papered (I did use an anaglypta wallpaper on the master bedroom ceiling; that was the house owner's insistence).

Thank you Kathie.

I really want a yellow kitchen. Don't ask me why from the time I found the Washington and started started building....I knew the kitchen had to be some kind of yellow. This might sound a bit crazy but I also knew the bedroom and library needed lace curtains. Not sure about the kitchen curtain yet. 

i stained the inside floors twice. I see in a lot of builds some of the floors have a shine to them. Should I put something else onto my floors.

6 hours ago, Marian said:

Thank you Kathie.

I really want a yellow kitchen. Don't ask me why from the time I found the Washington and started started building....I knew the kitchen had to be some kind of yellow. This might sound a bit crazy but I also knew the bedroom and library needed lace curtains. Not sure about the kitchen curtain yet. 

i stained the inside floors twice. I see in a lot of builds some of the floors have a shine to them. Should I put something else onto my floors.

You're welcome, Marian. I can tell you why you are leaning toward a yellow kitchen and lace curtains: it's what the house wants. You have already developed a good ear. You're a natural at this. :) Sooner or later, the house will tell you what kind of curtains you need in the kitchen.

As for the floors, again, it's up to you and the house. Some floors cry out for an industrial-strength shine and others are worn to a softer finish, depending on the age of the house and the inclination of its mini residents. For a softer look, try crumpling a piece of brown paper bag and scrubbing at the stained surface. It gives a lovely satiny finish.

Your Washington is coming along nicely!  And your little sofa is just lovely.  :) 

Wallpapering can be a bit daunting, but I think you will do just fine- you seem to be a natural at this, seeing that you already can hear your house talking to you!  ;)

There should be a few good wallpapering tutorials to find and follow...plus all of the great hints on here!  My hint:  I cut the paper for the right and left walls, leaving about a quarter inch extra length which will wrap around the corner and a bit onto the back wall.  You can make a template if that helps. So I install the wallpaper on both side walls- carefully fitting and easing the paper into the corners with an old credit card- then smoothing down that little bit of extra onto the back wall.  I measure (or make a template) and cut the paper for the back wall so that it fits perfectly from corner to corner....it glues neatly in place over the 'tabs' creating a seamless finish.  Once it dries, I do as Holly does and go back and cut out the windows and door openings with a sharp x-acto knife.

Oh- and there are some that place the wallpaper glue onto the WALL rather than the paper....this makes placement a bit easier than trying to handle wet, droopy paper.