Tiny flowers

Marian

3 minutes ago, Marian said:

Just wondering where I can buy tiny flowers for the window boxes?

Look at real-size artificial flowers, especially those made up of many small parts. Cut apart, each of the small bits can become a mini flower. Artificial ferns and other greenery with tiny leaflets can be cannibalized in the same way for fill-in greenery. One stem of each will fill a lot of window boxes!

• Like 2

If you want perfect scale, then there are kits. But if you want to save time and money then here is that I do:

I found artificial flowers at Joann's that had small enough blossoms that they worked in a 1:12 setting if I cut them up. Need longer stems? Florist tape and wire.  I've had good luck with lily of the valley and wisteria types for lots of blossoms. And I use the green leaves too - you can even cut those smaller if needed or use them for other plants. 

bevfabriccrafts_2238_139722894

I also have used mini paper craft flowers. I also found those at Joanns or Michaels for pretty cheap price per bouquet ($3) - they are just a tad big, but they are so pretty for the price!

e39bab5e743f9c0f3acc3fc85585bb3016.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't use Washington's window boxes, but when I have put window boxes on dollhouses I use Kathie's and Jenn's methods.  I stick a bit of Styrofoam or florist foam, cut to fit and give the surface a coat of raw umber to simulate potting soil.

• Like 1

I make my own. I started with kits but got so interested in making miniature plants and flowers that I started creating my own designs just using paper punches and hand cutting. They take longer to make but you can get some great realistic effects :) 

• Like 2

I make my own from kits and paper punches but if you don't want to get that involved you can purchase nice looking clay flowers from hobby builders supply (miniatures.com) and elsewhere..local miniatures shop, eBay etc 

I am working on a conservatory right now.  I'm making wisteria and using Bunka, parts of fake bouquets and branches from my Rosemary plants.  I am also using some real succulents.  Mother of Millions is one kind that works well. If you don't water them a lot, they stay small. If you want to see, go look on my blog. Poke 'my blog changes daily'. You will have to search "conservatory".